Chapter 10: Indu

What was I thinking? Tears pricked the edge of Indu's eyes. Of course, he would be disgusted.

The meager hope that Axer would be fine with her scar vanished like a wilting flower. The more she thought about it, the more her heart hurt. He had stared at her for minutes, and it warmed heart. Very few people gave her that feeling, and she honestly believed he was interested in her. But she was wrong. He was only intrigued by her. He probably thought, "How can such an ugly woman have the confidence to talk to people without being ashamed." The simple thought of Axer thinking like that made Indu sick in the stomach, and she choked back a sob.

Before rounding the approaching corner, Indu wiped her eyes thoroughly. I can't let Father unnecessarily worry about me.

"Father." She turned the corner and called out.

"Indu? Where is the lord?" Her father turned from the blue-eyed man chatting with him and asked with a confused glance.

"He...he told me to go on ahead." She immediately looked down, afraid her father would catch her lie. He paused for a moment before answering.

"I see. Well, I hope our accommodations are to your liking, Sir Ainsleys. If you have concerns, please don't hesitate to send a message."

Her father then tapped Indu's shoulders.

"It seems my daughter is a bit tired because of today, so I will be taking my leave in advance."

Indu gained a little courage a looked up, only to see the blue-eyed man's chilling stare.

"I bid you farewell, Town Chief." The man turned and signaled to a large group of men sitting atop their horses, and after he boarded his horse, they set off. The streets had been cleared beforehand to allow the knights an easy passage to their inns.

"Let's go?"

"Yes, father." Indu boarded a brown, single-windowed carriage that pulled up behind her father, who followed her right after. The cowhide seats gave enough comfort for the tension to leave her body. She sat hunched in her seat, hands in her lap, boring holes into the carriage's bottom.

Her father suddenly sighed and pulled the green-translucent curtains over the windows. He leaned back, one leg over the other, arms crossed across his chest.

"Now, tell me the truth." His eyes narrowed with a dangerous gleam. "Did the Count do anything to you?"

"N-No, of course not."

"Then why were you crying?"

"I'm not crying!" Indu hurriedly turned away to wipe her eyes when her father sighed again. He pulled a handkerchief from his brown, mystical-pattern embroidered waistcoat's chest pocket.

"Your makeup is smudged. Take this and clean it."

Indu hesitantly accepted the flower-pattern embroidered cloth and dabbed her eyes. The cloth's beautiful aesthetic was now ruined by her tears. She had worn makeup to ensure her face was unpleasant to look at. Although she was ugly, with enough makeup, her face wouldn't be revolting.

"Is it something I can't know about?" He asked.

How can I tell him I thought Axer was my friend, only to have him act like everyone I've ever met. How can I tell him how much that broke my heart?

Indu remained silent. It embarrassed her to admit something like that, and she also believed her father wouldn't understand. Although she loved him very much, at the end of the day, he was still a man and couldn't completely understand a woman's feelings.

Mother would have helped me a lot if she were still here.

Immediately, Indu's mood worsened as her memories of her mother resurfaced. She violently shook her head, suppressing the painful memories once more.