03

⚠️Graphic torturing⚠️

Eliza

I thought that I'd be happy when I saw my father again. But all that was felt was rage.

Seeing his face again after all these years just brought back up all the anger I felt when he was taken away from me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that my family is finally back together, but I can't help but remember his face when he was dragged away and the pain in my mother's eyes when she realized what was happening and that she couldn't do anything to stop it.

He looks different now, my father. Jeremiah Black walks out with two police officers on either side of him wearing the same clothes he wore the day he was arrested. It's funny how the justice system works. There wasn't even a trial for the crimes he allegedly committed. The crimes he so obviously did not commit given the lack of evidence that aimed towards him.

And yet, he was still put away.

And all the assholes who were involved in his downfall have been taken down one by one. And those dipshits standing on either side of him? Those pigs who I remember so vividly talking about how they helped bring down an innocent man? Well, they are next on my list.

My father has aged. Very clearly too. Jeremiah Black was always a big man, standing at 6'3, and with huge arms that use to sway both my brother and I around when we were younger like we weighed nothing.

He only had three tattoos from what I can remember from when I was younger, but now both his arms are covered in black tattoos as well as the side of his neck.

Looks like someone made some friends at camp.

The moment he's within a few feet from us and those bright, blue eyes that now seem to look duller come into view, my mother jumps into his arms with a cry.

They hold each other tightly, whispering amongst one another as my brother walks over and joins them in a hug.

I watch from where I'm standing, tilting my head as I observe them with Karla and Mai on either side of me.

Should I join them? An immediate thought comes to mind.

Why should you? A voice sounds in my head and so I stay rooted in my position.

Those blue eyes meet mine and the dullness in them seem to brighten when they see me. Pride washes over me when he nods as if he is proud of me.

Make him prouder.

I look behind my family to see the two cops beginning to walk back inside and I look to my father in silent question. A single look gives me the approval I need and so I nod to Mai who then starts to walk into the prison with Karla right behind her.

"We need to go." I tell my family. My mother looks back at me with the biggest smile on her face and tears streaming down her eyes, ruining her makeup.

"Oh sweetheart, give us just a couple of more minutes." She practically begs and I almost allow it if I wasn't for Karla looking behind her to make sure I was following.

"We can continue this at the hotel." I say, opening up the door of the SUV and pulling out a suit I had brought for my father. I hand it to him, "This is for you."

There's a small smile on his face as he takes the suit from my hand and places a big, pale hand on the side of my face.

"I've missed you, my mystery girl."

I close my eyes for only a moment, savoring the fatherly love for just a second before I'm pulling myself away and heading toward the double doors that lead to the prison.