Chapter 23: all sorted?

The Pocketwatch had been sold. It had undergone a change of name and was being sailed over to Spain by its new owners. Tyron and Brandy both experienced a sense of relief. Their coverup of the events that had happened on that yacht now seemed complete.

Other proceedings were also complete. Brandy could now legally call herself Brandy Essen and describe her gender as female. She had documents showing her new status and Tyron was going to apply for a new passport for her.

Her new life was about to open up for her. She knew that Tyron would not send her away penniless; she should have been excited and nervous, but instead, she felt deflated and scared.

Tyron was very organised, he would have a plan for them to part company without causing a lot of fuss or unwanted questions; though he had not said anything to her as yet. Then . . .

"Brandy, my dear, I have been keeping something from you."

"Oh," she responded giving him an amused but slightly disapproving look.

"So let me start by shamefully acknowledging that I was in a brain fever about Ruby during those early days; I wanted her desperately. I think I was trying to recapture the last vestiges of my youth or something."

Brandy smiled, "Oh Tyron, you're a lovely man; you don't need to try to be anything other than what you are."

"Well, thank you, my dear. Now, I had told Napier not to do any background checks on Ruby, and I didn't do any myself. Nevertheless, I couldn't help not noticing certain things that aroused my suspicions, but I pushed them aside, I just didn't want to know."

"And . . . ?" Brandy asked looking at him with concern.

Tyron took a breath, "Well, the situation has changed completely, of course, so some weeks ago I arranged for a private investigator to look into Ruby's background. It didn't take him long. Ruby was using a false name; it appears that she stole some documents from a girl she went to school with and assumed her identity a year or so before I met her."

"Oh lord," Brandy's eyes widened.

"Her reason for doing so was that under her real name, she had a police record and a three-month suspended sentence hanging over her head."

"But Tyron, if she married you using a false identity, wouldn't that mean . . ."

"Exactly, Brandy. It means that the marriage was not valid, has never been valid, and I have now had it officially declared invalid, null and void, or whatever the correct legal term is."

"How extraordinary. Well, one thing I can see, Tyron, is that it will make things easier; you won't have to explain why you've dumped me, why you've dumped your new wife."

Tyron was giving her an odd smile, making her think that he was up to something.

"I have a better solution. It would tidy things up nicely, my dear."

"Oh, and what is that?"

"We get married."

"Stop it, Tyron, don't be silly. You know what I am, what I've been through."

"Yes, and I'm the only one who does know. Brandy, I think you are just fabulous. I have become very fond of you."

"Oh, Tyron . . ."