Book I, Chapter 5

"Stories rarely end as they begin." -Unknown.

After our discussion, Three showed me the crew's quarters, which were located at the other end of the corridor that I'd walked to reach the engine room. I mentioned it was a simple design for a ship, and he laughed, and said that was the point. I asked about the kitchens, and he said they were on the deck, just not at the moment.

My room was empty, save for a bed. I'd taken nothing with me when escaping the inn, as I hadn't expected to leave like that, not that I had many possessions, at the moment. Still, I'd have to decorate later.

Hah. Just a bed... sailors often havd to sleep in rooms half as big as mine, on the floor. I was in no position to complain.

'Make yourself comfortable,' Three said. 'We're leaving tonight, provided nothing goes-' he stopped talking and made an annoyed sound. His selves looked at each other in exasperation.

'I know, I know. No jinxing here.' He turned to me, shaking his head.

'I'm going back. Gotta calm the ship down. She gets nervous when there are new people on her. You know how shy people are...' And he left, straight through my wall.

Minutes later, I was on the deck. Mharra was leaning on the railing, grinning, his eyes on the horizon. I couldn't see Ib anywhere.

'How did you find Three?' he asked, not looking at me.

'He was pleasant enough, if a bit... distracted. Understandably, in my opinion.'

Now, he did turn to look at me. 'He, eh? Already? Good, good... most people can't get used to that, which upsets him. Partly why it's only been the three of us for some time. But I meant, how did you find where he was?'

'I just called out to him and said you sent me. Why?'

'Three can read people. He doesn't show himself unlesd he thinks you're worth it.'

'Another test?' I asked, frowning. Mharra smiled at my expression, but said nothing.

'Do you know how Three came to be... like this?' I asked carefully. To my surprise, Mharra laughed.

'Careful, boy! If you learn everything about us on the first day, you'll get bored and leave the crew. Or jump overboard. People have done that, too. Don't. I'm not jumping after you.' He stopped grinning, and sighed. 'To answer your question... of course not. You think I'd leave him like this if I did?'

I decided to change the subject. 'What do you expect me to do, captain? I've no experience as a sailor,' I lied. 'In my previous travels, I've always been a passenger.'

Mharra raised his eyebrows. 'I thought you never left this island?' he jerked his head toward the shore. 'Or are you a chronomancer, after all?'

Dammit. Between the trial and meeting Three, I'd forgotten that lie. Sloppy. My younger self would have laughed his head off, right before cutting my throat for being this lax.

'I meant my travels on the island,' I said smoothly. 'I've ridden carts, carriages... even a few autocarts.'

Mharra sighed, shaking his head. He walked away from the railing, toward me.

'I don't know why you're so scared, boy. Whoever you are, whatever you've done, you'll achieve nothing by covering it in lies. Follow this advice. I didn't.' And he passed me, heading to the door that led belowdecks.

That was when the deck shook, as if struck by a meteor. I turned, staggering, and saw Ib, in its humanoid form. Had it come to kill me for lying to its captain? No... if it had wanted that, it would have landed on me, not behind me.

'Mharra collects broken things,' it said, face morphing into a sad smile. 'He found this ship when it was languishing on a dying island, like a washed-up whale. He saved Three when he was coming apart, though I must ask you not to mention that, to either of them.'

The giant leaned forward, grinning conspirationally. 'Don't spread the word, but Mharra never asks for payment from those who can't afford it. We're no great warriors, smiting down evil wherever it may be found... but we try to spread joy where we can.'

I nodded. Of course Mharra didn't want it known. He was still a showman, despite his alleged soft spot.

'He wants to avoid being seen as weak,' I said. Ib shook its head.

'He doesn't want to be seen as strong, either. Draws foes to you like you wouldn't believe...'

I nodded. 'I know what it's like,' I said. If Ib asked, I'd mention my escape from the mob.

The grey giant sighed heavily. 'Being honest with me won't make up for lying to Mharra. Good deeds don't erase the bad... Dhalgo,' Ib cocked its head like a bird. 'Do you know why I'm called "Ib"?'

'Is it not your name?' It scoffed.

'Part of it, maybe. Some days, I remember it's a fraction of my true name. Other days, I think I've always been Ib. You caught me on a good day.'

I almost asked what our "fight" would have been like on a bad day, but I held my tongue. Amazing, I know. But I didn't want to anger it, resulting in a demonstration.

'When Mharra fished me from the waves," Ib continued. "He promised that, one day, I would find my way home, and learn who I truly am."

'...How do you know you were not born of the ocean?' I asked hesitantly. Ib laughed, the sound like grinding gears.

'I'm no animal, Seaborn or Manifestation. I know, like I know I am Ib.'

'You two done hugging up there?' Mharra's voice came from below us, startling me. The sound carried through the deck like through air.

Maybe there was more to the ship than met the eye.

'Three is done coaxing the ship into moving. We're setting sail, right now!'

'I though we were leaving tonight?' Ib asked, amused.

'Bah, screw schedules! We have no business here, anyway. No crowd.'

'Where are we going, captain?' I asked. Mharra laughed. He seemed endlessly cheerful, but it had to be a façade. No way he was running this ship through good cheer and bad jokes.

'Wherever we desire, my boy! We are free men, and let whim and wish guide our path,' I could hear Three grumble "Play it up, why don't you?".

Ib sank to a knee, to meet my eyes, though it had none.

'I doubt I will ever learn my true name, Dhalgo,' it placed a heavy hand on my right shoulder, and my knees buckled. 'But you know yours, and don't try to fool me. Don't let the truth slip away from you, my friend. Don't lose yourself, like me.'