Book II, Chapter 2

"The first step to clearing the air is admitting it needs to be cleared."-Unknown;

'Of course. I appreciate your faith in me, Three,' Ib said, then turned to the Swordsaint. 'As you have parted from the Ghyrrians...do you have any means of travelling Midworld on your own? You could sail with us to the Free Fleet, then choose your own path from there.'

'I can run on water,' the Swordsaint replied. 'But, though your offer is generous, despite the fool I brought into your midst, I must go look for my wife. She should have returned by now, whether successful or not. Even she is not headstrong enough to try and destroy the entire Chaos Company, at once, by herself.'

I noticed her not even mentioning the chance of the Bladefiend having been killed...but I suppose you cannot live like she had and not have utter confidence in those close to you.

'Of course. Perhaps she has hit a snag, or lost herself in her enthusiasm.' Mharra said diplomatically.

The Swordsaint smiled fondly. 'Aye...aye, that sounds like her. I'll go look for her, lend a hand if she's not finished.'

None of us asked how she planned to find her wife when she didn't even know where she was. Perhaps they had some unknown form of communication, or bond.

'We wish you luck,' Three said, rather unexpectedly, all his selves clasping hands in front of themselves. 'The Triarchs are not familiar gods, but perhaps Yghvlaar will preserve you in your journey.'

Three bowed to the Swordsaint, and the old heroine returned the gesture. 'Thank you for your prayer. And thank you all, for your understanding.'

And she was gone. One moment, she was bowing in front of us. The next, I blinked, and she was a dot on the horizon. The water still steamed from her passing.

'What a terrifying woman,' Mharra said thoughtfully. 'I'm glad she's on our side.'

'Our side, captain?' I asked.

'The side of good, Ryzhan.' I almost flinched, despite myself. Hearing him say my name-hearing my name spoken by anyone else-was enough to set my teeth on edge. 'Care to talk about that?'

'In the open? I'd rather not.'

Mharra nodded, then jerked his head towards the door leading belowdecks. He, Three and I headed to it, then down the stairs, while Ib remained on the deck to stand guard. I knew it would still hear everything we discussed.

After we reached the engine room, Three's selves crossed their arms and legs, sitting in midair. Meanwhile, Mharra leaned against a wall, hands in his coat pockets, looking deceptively casual.

'Who is looking for you, that we couldn't speak on the deck?' Mharra asked in a tone like we were discussing the weather.

'Perhaps I wanted to lure you in an enclosed space, so I could silence you, now that you know my name.' I said in a neutral voice.

Mharra held my gaze for a few seconds, then started snickering. Three looked at him, questioningly, as he began laughing outright

He laughed and laughed, throwing his head back, until he was red in the face. Finally, he stopped, but only to catch his breath. He was still grinning broadly.

'Don't pretend we're all fools, Ryzhan. Even if you somehow had a way to do that-and maybe you do, I won't pretend to know you-, you'd still have to deal with an Ib angered at its friends being "silenced". And, unless you're impossibly good at hiding your light under a bushel, I doubt you could truly do anything to Ib.'

I didn't answer. Because, in truth, I did not know. During Mharra's test, I had managed to shake Ib off with my Gift...or had I? Ib had given every impression of being affected, which suggested it could feel pain, but...that had been my best shot. I couldn't kill people with a touch, and, seeing the way Ib had torn apart a Seaworm from the inside, I did not like my chances against it.

'I suppose we'll never know,' I replied. 'But...you have taken me into your midst, and shared your table and winnings with me. It would only be fair to return the favour.'

I was laying it on thick, of course, and I doubted Mharra could not tell. The other two...well, they'd come to their own conclusions. Mharra wasn't the first to show me kindness. The only difference between him and the ones before was that I hadn't abandoned him yet.

And so, I told them of my childhood and youth. Of Copper's Cradle, and the work in the mines. Of my parents, and the awakening of my Gift. Of how I'd learned to share my pain, then repaid it tenfold.

Mharra listened, not saying a word, while Three's faces shifted through a series of emotions: sadness, shock...and pity.

The last always makes my gorge rise.

'Do you regret what you've done?' Mharra asked, after I'd already revealed more than I was comfortable with.

'Sometimes. Other times, I... I find comfort in it,' I replied honestly. Mharra nodded.

'You are not as vile as you think you are, Ryzhan.'

'But I am still vile?' I asked.

Three scoffed at that. 'I'd have caved their skulls in while they were down. My mother might have been a scared fool, but she still loved me, as best as she could. I do not envy you...' And he stared off into space, seemingly lost in his past.

For a while, none of us said anything. It was Mharra who broke the silence.

'You should go up, talk to Ib as well.'

'It already heard everything. The deck lets sounds pass, when it wants to,' I pointed out. Mharra shook his head.

'That is not what I meant.'

So, I sighed, and left the engine room. Up on the deck, Ib was watching the horizon, arms crossed. I started speaking to it, but it cut me off impatiently. It had indeed heard our discussion.

'Ib, I... I'm sorry. I...understand. If you are mad at my secrecy-'

'I'm not mad at you, Ryzhan.' It said. 'Only...envious. At least, when all is said and done, you still have a past.'