13. Blunt Words

Sitting in the shade under a tree, hand made lunch sitting in your lap, you gazed up at the sky with Akaashi. Peaceful silence filled the air around you. You liked it. Karasuno was fun, but the relaxation you felt in this moment was pure bliss.   

Akaashi wasn't really a small talk person, and you enjoyed that.    

The lunch had he made for you was delicious. Once you were finished, you scooted into the sunshine and laid down in the grass, looking up at the clouds. Akaashi stayed in the shade, watching you as he finished up his food.    

"Ever feel like you can't do anything right?"   

"Yes." he replies.    

"What do you do about it?"   

"Think about the things that have gone right. The smallest details can change your perspective."   

You chuckle dryly. "How do you always have such good advice."   

Akaashi sighs. "Blame Bokuto."   

You grin, sitting up on your elbows to look at him. "He seems like a handful."   

"Three or four handfuls. But," Akaashi gathers up his trash. "He's a good player. Finnicky, but good. His heart is in the right place, most of the time."   

"Hm.." you lay back, putting your hands behind your head.    

Akaashi joins you, staring up at the clouds as well. After a few moments, he spoke. "You should stop moping."   

You wince. His words were harsh, but you knew he meant well. And he was right. "I know, I just.."   

"Keep this up and your teammates will stop believing in you too. Stop worrying them, start believing in yourself again, and show your coach that you are a valuable aspect to the team."   

You let his words sink in. "You're right."   

"Of course I am," he turns his head to look at you, hair falling across his forehead.    

You turns to look at him too. He had the faintest hint of a smile, and his eyes stared rigth through you. Again, you were struck by how pretty he was.   

"Thank you," you smile.    

"Done moping?"   

You nod.   

"Good. Now, go apologize to your coach and join your team."   

Both of you stand. Akaashi takes the lunch box from you and head off back towards the gyms. Noya and Tanaka run up to you as you entered.    

"(Y/N)!"   

"WE WERE SO WORRIED!"    

"YOU WERE GONE FOR SO LONG."

"Sorry guys," you say, patting their heads. You walk over to where Coach Ukai was standing with Takeda, Kiyoko, and Yachi.   

The little blonde watched you with curiosity as Kiyoko placed a hand on your arm. "Are you okay?" She asks, her gaze worried.    

You nod. "I'm okay Kiyo," you give her a soft smile. Turning to Ukai, you take a breath. "I'm sorry for acting like a spoiled brat," you apologize.    

Coach Ukai rubs the back of his head. "You weren't, but you have been a pain in my ass lately kid." He sighs. "Listen, it thrills me that you're so excited to play, but I want the others to get as much out of this practice as they can. You'll get your time, okay? Just.. trust me."   

You nod firmly. "I understand. I have a request though."   

He looked wary but let you continue. "What is it?"   

"If I'm not out there on the court, can I do something else to practice? I hate standing around doing nothing."   

"I don't want you jumping a bunch, so let me get back to you on that. I'll figure out something."   

"Thanks, Coach."    

"Now get your butt back over to your team." He nudges you.   

Suga caught your eye, motioning you over. Sweat rolled down his face and neck. You grab a towel from him, dabbing the sweat off of his skin. He smiled. "Glad you're back."   

"Hush," you smile back.    

The rest of Karasuno huddled around, drinking water, catching their breath. You smiled, looking at their faces. It made you realize just how stupid you had been. You were a part of the team, and you always had been.

Words:669
Sorry for the shorter update this week. I haven't felt much inspiration for this story lately but I wanted to push through the writer's block and get past this weird part of the arc. Update is earlier than usual cuz I'm going to be busy this weekend. Hope you enjoyed : ) seeya (hopefully) next weekend lmfao

Oh and the stardew valley fic is up!! It's five chapters so far, counting the one today. It's called New Player in Town.