Prologue

(Lub-Dub.. Lub-Dub.. Lub-Dub..)

My heart thumped louder and louder with every single passing second. At the glance, I am seated on the floral decorated bed but metaphorically it isn't less than a bed of thorns or fire.

I just married a stranger few hours back who I met only once before today and that happened to be yesterday when we exchanged our engagement ring. Well, you can count it as two if you consider a video call as a meeting.

It all began with my far relative, who I was asked to address as aunty, got a proposal of a Non-resident Indian (NRI) dwelling in some unknown and unexplored part of the world by me.

As a common notion, all NRI's are well earning and well settled for us Indians and with no further questions asked my parents quickly jumped into a video call on the next auspicious occasion along with me. As a result of which I have now landed up on this floral bed in a hotel room waiting for that upgraded version of stranger, now called husband after the upgrade, to arrive and decide my fate tonight.

As I contemplated, what I have in store tonight, the door knob clinked and opened. And there a man who is 6' tall, lean and having dusky complexion appeared before me. The man with whom I am supposed to spend the rest of my life with.

**Don't look into his eyes, don't smile, he might take it as a signal to jump on you..**, I remembered my friend advising me when I shared my fear and anxiety of the nuptial night.

I looked down not feeling shy but with nervousness.

"Hi", he said.

"H.. h.. hi", I stuttered still looking down.

"Are you comfortable?", He asked.

What does that mean? Comfortable to spend a night with him? Or the rest of the nights with him? No!!!! I don't even know you.. Rrrrr.. I wish I could say that but there is a reason I am named Sahana, which means patience and endurance in my mother tongue, by my parents. I am being told to be humble towards elders, teachers and most importantly, husband. I have to be patient, no matter what they say. Take each of their word as if it was a bible.

"Yes", I nodded against my will.

"What time do you usually sleep?" He asked sitting beside me on the bed.

I gulped at the distance he covered so quickly. There was just few inches gap between us now. I wondered what time it was. Can I just go to sleep peacefully, please?

"Aaa.. it.. it depends when I feel.. like sleepy.", I uttered still not meeting his eyes.

"Oh!! I hope you ain't feeling sleepy because I haven't got over my jet lag yet so sleep is nowhere around me.", He said.

Should I say I am feeling very sleepy and just go to sleep or should I be a little considerate towards his request?

"No.. I am.. n.. not sleepy yet..", My mouth uttered shutting off it's connection from my brain.

"Wow!! That's great!! But hey!! Why are you fumbling so much? I am not some stranger. I am your husband..", he spoke the last sentence in a husky voice placing his hands over mine.

I trembled within on that touch. Just because you married me, I can't call you my husband. You are still a stranger because I hardly know anything about you.

I nodded my head in approval.

"So Sahana, what do you do when you ain't sleepy?", He asked flirtatiously, pressing my hand a little firmer.