86

Asher

I look up instantly, hearing a small thump in the pitch darkness of the foyer. I turn on my phone light and shine it in the direction of the noise. There, I see Evangeline trying her best not to make a sound as she inches her way down the glass steps, cringing every time she makes a noise. 

A goofy grin stretches my features. I can't help it. Every time I see her, I can't hide the smile that crosses my face. Evangeline. The love of my life. My stepsister. Also my girlfriend. I must admit, our forbidden love for each other only adds to the thrill of keeping the relationship a secret. Just yesterday, we almost had a full on makeout session in the empty classroom after last period. Then, it was the only time our brothers wouldn't be on our backs, splitting her attention between all of us.

I allow my eyes to rove over her body. I tug on the sleeves of my hoodie. "You look cute."

She snorts, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "You see me in these all the time."

I step forward, pulling her hand into mine. "Still. You ready to go?" 

"Where to?" She grins just as widely as me.

She's gonna be so stoked when I show her where.

The corners of my lips pull up even higher. "Out, of course!"

Her brows raise, and she looks intrigued. "Ooh." The moment I open the door, a cold gust of wind smacks us in the face. It's been raining heavily nonstop these days, despite it being near summer. Currently, it's drizzling lightly outside. Nothing too much to handle. Evangeline cocks her head. "Let me bring an umbrella?"

"Nah. No need. Will you be cold, though?" I hadn't realised her cute cotton print shorts and tank top might not be the best choice of wear for our midnight date. She taps a finger on her lips, eyes flicking over my form. Apparently, she likes what she sees, because she looks away quickly, spots of color blooming on her cheeks in the dim illumination from my phone. 

"Um, I know Chris has a spare hoodie and track pants in his soccer bag. If I stole it for a while, he wouldn't mind, would he?"

I shrug, strangely unbothered by the fact that she wants to wear my other brothers clothes. If we're dating, shouldn't we only be exclusive of each other? Does this count as an intimate act with someone outside of the relationship? Hell, I don't know. Evangeline's my first girlfriend. Either way, despite the meagre 5ish months we've known each other, we're relatively close. Perhaps, even a little too close, judging by the way my brothers' touches linger or how the look in their eyes as they gaze at Evie isn't what you'd describe as brotherly or platonic at all.

Why am I suddenly overthinking this?

While being lost in my own world, Evangeline has made quick work of retrieving the clothes. She looks hot, with her hair left unbound around her shoulders in my older brother's baggy clothes. The black adidas sweatpants are rolled up several times at the hem, and the hoodie looks super puffy.

"Are those clean?"

She nods, pulling on her beat up sneakers. The lavender ones she always wears. A gift from Mom, I think she once told us. Well, I ought to get her a new pair soon. Converse may be hardy, but the canvas on her she is beginning to fray.

"Shall we?" We step out of the house, silently closing the door behind us. I pull up her hood and mine to shield our faces from the droplets of water falling from the sky. Evie smiles prettily and laces my fingers with hers, our joined hands swinging as we set off down the street.

꯱ׁׅ֒ꪱׁׅϐׁׅ֒ᥣׁׅ֪ꪱׁׅꪀׁׅᧁׁ꯱ׁׅ֒?जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें