Chapter 7: A Pact in Secrecy

Albedo was walking down a hallway just after the meeting was concluded. She called on the Arvanians, as well as Kei. Together, they made their way to Albedo and Kei's shared chambers. Albedo led them to the table and had everyone take a seat. "Why have you brought us here?" Lucille asked, "As I said in the Council room, I bought us time. I don't want to announce it in front of everyone...but I don't trust the Twilight Covenant at all. If they're as dangerous as you say, then I sincerely doubt they would just let go of Arvan..." Albedo answered, "So what are you thinking?" Gabriella asked. Albedo looked between them and took a deep breath. "If they are truly leaving Arvan in peace...then that can only mean a few things. If they've completely left Arvan, it would give Ravania time to rally a massive army, one large enough to destroy any Kingdom with ease. With the Covenant here in Celestia, they wouldn't be able to move fast enough to stop the rest of the Kingdoms from banding together." She said, "So you want to rally the Kingdoms?" Gabriella asked, "Yes...but not in front of the watchful eyes. Moona will be expecting us to do that. And considering they have such a massive army, it's likely that they'll be watching for any movement around Celestia." Albedo answered. Gabriella nodded. "So we gather forces in secret, and surprise them with our numbers..." She said. 

Albedo shook her head. "I don't know...this all just seems too straightforward. I mean, I get that they know the artifact is here, but why sacrifice their foothold? There has to be some kind of overarching plan here. Surely they have to know that if they only stay in Celestia, then the other Kingdoms can rally against them. Even if the Twilight Covenant is strong enough to destroy Ravania, I don't see why she would leave an opening for an attack like that. Can she really be that confident?" She asked, "I suppose there isn't much left of Arvan. And it's not like they don't have their own place to stay. But still...it does seem strange that they would just let go of it. After all the work they went through to get it, they just dropped it. Why would they do that...?" Gabriella asked, "...Because they didn't promise anything else." Lucille answered, "Huh?" Albedo and Gabriella both asked in synchronization, "They never said they weren't going to conquer the other Kingdoms. They only said they would leave Arvan alone...a Kingdom that they already left in ruins. She twisted it in a way that made it sound like she was doing something kind and generous. But it was really just a cover so she could conquer the other Kingdoms..." Lucille answered. Albedo was shaken up by her words. "I-I can't believe I didn't even notice that..." She said, "She's a clever little Halfling. She knows what she's doing. We have to find a way to stop her as quickly as possible..." Gabriella responded. In spite of the situation, Albedo seemed relatively uncertain. "I don't know..." She said, "What do you mean?" Lucille asked, "Well...what if Moona really does want peace? If that's the case, then aren't we the villains of this story? If what she said is true...then maybe we should give her a chance..." Albedo answered. 

Gabriella let out a frustrated sigh. "It's your Kingdom. If you want to parade about all buddy-buddy with that bitch, then I can't really stop you. But even so...you have to understand. The artifact...no matter how noble her goals may be...will bring ruin. We can't let her open it, peaceful or not." She said, "The artifact has brought war, time and again. Yet I still feel like I know nothing about it. What does it do, exactly? Aside from the whole 'grants one wish' thing." Albedo asked, "I've only heard rumors and stories, so its exact effect is unknown. But essentially, it grants you what you desire...at the cost of absolute destruction. By opening the artifact, you may very well doom the world. The artifact has never once been opened as far as I know, but that's the most common story surrounding it. I don't imagine Moona believes that, though, considering she's trying to open it anyway." Gabriella answered, "...Or she knows something we don't." Albedo said. Kei cleared her throat, attracting everyone's attention. "I was just clearing my throat." She said, "Oh, okay." Albedo responded, looking back at Gabriella. All of the sudden, a new voice filled the room. "The artifact must not fall into anyone's hands." It said. Everyone turned, entirely alarmed. To their surprise, Goltač stepped out of the shadows! "Wh-When did you get here?! What are you doing in our chambers?!" Albedo asked, "Fear not. I mean you no harm." Goltač vaguely answered. Kei narrowed her eyes. "Then what do you mean, exactly?" She asked.