Chapter 10: The King's decision.

All of Rohan had gathered in Edoras as Theodred's body was moved by the Rohirrim to be buried outside the city gates. The body was followed by Théoden, Aragorn, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, Jon, Sansa, the Hound, and the people of Edoras to pay their respects. Eowyn waited with other women. And she struggled to keep her emotions in check. 

At Theodred's tomb, his body was passed to the women, Sansa held Jon's hand. Although, she didn't know who Theodred was, she still felt sympathy for the King who had lost his son. Eowyn also sang shaking as she did so. "Bealocwealm hafa. freone frecan forth onsended giedd sculon singan glaomenn sorgiende on Meduselde oat he ma no ware his dryhtne dyrest and mega deorost. Bealo..." (An evil death has set forth the noble warrior. A song shall sing sorrowing minstrels in Meduseld that he is no more, to his lord dearest and kinsmen most belover. 'An evil death...)

Theodred's body was passed into the tomb and the doors shut behind him.

Finally, when all was said and done. A single Simelmyne flower lay in front of it. 

Théoden, Gandalf, Jon, and Sansa were still outside.

"Simelmyne. Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebearers." Théoden said. Then he turned to the others. "Now it shall cover the tomb of my son. Alas that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live, to see the last days of my house." 

"It wasn't your fault." Sansa replied quietly. 

"Sansa's right. Theodred's death was not of your making." Gandalf agreed.

"No parent should have to bury their child." Théoden said in clear pain in his voice. Then he went back to weeping on the ground falling to his knees. The pain of a Parent to have to lose their child. A child they saw enter the world. And would do anything to see live a good life. But for it all to leave so soon. There are many names to call people who have lost loved ones. Widows, Orphans, Widowers, Only Children. But there are no words to describe a Parent who had lost a Child.

Sansa also broke a little. "We never got to say goodbye, Jon." She said.

Jon realized who Sansa was talking about. "You're not talking about Theodred, are you?" He asked.

Sansa nodded her head. "I watched Father die right in front of me. His Head falling from his neck. And Mother and Robb. I heard it from a letter how they died. And how I lay awake at night... thinking about how they died." She admitted.

"There was nothing you could've done." Jon replied. 

"Did I make it worse, Jon?" Sansa asked. "By asking for mercy, did I, doom Father to death?" She still remembered going on her knees in front of Joffrey and begging to show mercy for her Father. And how Joffrey promised to be merciful. But then he took his head. 

"No." Jon answered. "You were-" 

"A stupid little girl with stupid dreams who never learned." Sansa interrupted. And Jon shushed her and held her close.

"He was strong in life. His spirit will find its way to the Halls of your Fathers." Gandalf told Théoden. He then said a prayer for Theodred that he would go well. 

"Come on. Let's get back up the Hill. This place is depressing." Jon suggested to Sansa.

"Okay." Sansa nodded.

Gandalf also left with them. 

As they walked up the hill, Gandalf turned to see two children riding on a Horse. The same children from one of the Villages of the Westfold, Eothain and Freda. They were on horseback, but Eothain fell to the ground. Jon and Sansa also turned.