Chapter 14: Arwen's Fate.

Following the Warg Attack, Aragorn had floated down the river from the cliff. Thankfully not dead. But simply unconscious. No doubt that the Rohirrim were long gone. Not that Aragorn blamed them or anything. They made the right call leaving.  

Until he saw Arwen lying on a couch. Was he hallucinating? Probably. But then he saw through the swirling light, appearing over him, was Arwen, bending down to kiss him. 

"May the grace of the Valar protect you." 

Aragorn opened his eyes to look at her, but Arwen was not there. He fell unconscious again. And laid there until a horse arrived and nudged Aragorn's head. It was Brego. The Horse that Aragorn had freed back in Rohan. Then the horse kneeled down beside him. 

"Brego." Aragorn said. And he grasped his mane and pulled himself onto Brego. And so. Brego carried him away. 

Meanwhile. Back in Rivendell. Arwen was still lying on the couch and deep in thought. She had hoped that Aragorn was alright. She did send Brego to Aragorn's aid after he fell from the cliff in Rohan after all. 

"Arwen." Arwen turned to see that her Father had entered the room. "Tollen i la. I chair gwannar na Valannor. Si bado, no corar. (It is time. The ships are leaving for Valinor. Go now... before it is too late.) Elrond instructed. 

"I have made my choice." Arwen said. As she was very set on her mortal life. 

And Elrond was being a Debbie Downer. "He is not coming back. Why do you linger here when there is no hope?" He asked. 

"There is still hope." Elrond answered. 

Elrond walked across the room. "If Aragorn survives this way, you will still be parted." He pointed out. "If Sauron is defeated and Aragorn made King, and all that you hope for comes true... you will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality. Whether by the sword of the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die. And there will be no comfort for you, no comfort to ease the pain of his passing. He will come to death. An image of the splendor of the kings of Men, in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world. But you, my daughter... you will linger on in darkness and in doubt, as nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Here you will dwell, bound to your grief under the fading trees. Until all the world is changed, and the long years of your life are utterly spent." 

Arwen didn't respond to that, other than to show a tear falling from her eyes. 

"Arwen." Elrond said. "There is nothing for you here, only death." He then sat down next to Arwen touching her cheeks.

Arwen had to come to the conclusion that her Father was right. There was nothing for her but death. 

"A im, a-'erin veleth lon?" (Do I not also have your love?) Elrond asked. 

Arwen dropped her head to Elrond's chest as he put his arms around her. "Gerich veleth non, ada." (You have my love, father) She answered. 

And so it was. Cloaked and Hooded elves left Rivendell carrying lanterns. Elrond stood watching them leave. The last ship to leave Middle Earth. Arwen with them. Elrond stood watching them leave. Arwen, turned to look back up to her Father. He looked back at Arwen with concern as the Elves left across the bridge. This was it. 

As he continued to stare out of the window there was a frown on his face. Until he heard something.  "I amar prestar aen... han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith." (The world has changed... I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, I smell it in the air.) Who was saying that was Galadriel from Lorien. Coming to him in a vision.