Chapter Two: Tributes

{Updated 1/23/24}

Madalyn woke to Jasper knocking on her door again, signaling that it was time to get ready. She slowly got up and grabbed her dress, took a bath, did her hair and put on the dress. When Madalyn looked in the mirror she frowned at herself. It's sad that she had to get dressed all fancy just to go to a reaping that is supposed to be shown as a sacrifice of 'honor and bravery.' 

Madalyn hated it. The only reason she would want to get fancy is when she goes on a date, or when she gets a chance to travel to other districts; but this was her life. The life that had war, and then consequences for that war.

Madalyn made her way down the stairs and into the kitchen where Jasper handed her a piece of bread. "Can't mess up bread." he joked, taking a bite out of his.

"You could if you made it." Madalyn replied, a smile on her face.

"Did you see the bag on your table, you didn't open it. Wasn't it from Finn?" Jasper asked, noticing that she wasn't wearing the gift.

"I'll open it when I get back." Madalyn said, finishing her bread and looking outside. "Shit we gotta go." she said, throwing her shoes on while Jasper put on his coat.

The two siblings walked through the busy streets as they made their way to the big stage. Once they got there Jasper hugged Madalyn tight and looked at her, "You'll be okay. I'll see you after."

Madalyn nodded, giving him one last big hug before making her way to the line of girls. She looked around for any of her friends but they must already be in there. When Madalyn's eyes went to the stage she noticed that the previous year's victors stood on the stage.

There was the older women Mags , she won way back in the eleventh games. Madalyn thanked the women so many times since she helped Finnick win, while thinking about him she saw the boy right beside Mags, the two of them talking about something. Sebastian walked next to them with a slight grin as he crouch down to the older lady trying to have a conversation with her.

There were a few other victors on the stage that won throughout the years, but they don't mentor or help other tributes much. Madalyn made it to a peacekeeper and put out her hand. The peacekeeper grabbed her hand and poked her finger making the teen winch slightly as her finger was pressed against the paper. Madalyn waited until the little machine beeped and the peacekeeper waved her off, once she was good to go she slowly made her way into a line.

Madalyn's eyes scanned the crowds for Abigail or Annie but she couldn't find them. After a while the district four escort Willow made her way out on the stage smiling as she approached the mic. "Hello everyone and welcome. Everyone of you, are very brave for being here, now for president snow's message." Willow moved her hand to point at the big screens, where the message that played every year played.

Talking about war, bravery and sacrifice.. blah blah blah. Usually Madalyn ignores the message every year, silently whispering it from memory. Once the message was over Willow made her way to the mic again with a smile, "Oh how I love that. Well everyone Happy Hunger games and may the odds be ever in your favor.. as always ladies first."

Willow slowly made her way to the bowl of paper that had everyones name on it, she reached in and grabbed a paper before slowly making her way back to the mic. Madalyn watched as Willow opened the paper and smiled before reading the name, "Madalyn Williams."

Everything started to spin, no she didn't say her name did she? Her feet were glued to the floor as she felt her air leave her lungs, she felt paralyzed. Tears started forming, but she was quick to wipe them away to make sure not to let anyone see her cry. Madalyn slowly inched her way through the crowd, the sound of soft footsteps filled the area as two peacekeepers