Chapter 13: Fear

It was now the third day of Annie's game, her and Ethan were both still alive in the arena. They both had good supplies and weapons to last them for another few days. Madalyn watched the screens carefully to make sure no one was near them, trying to figure out what exactly they could do to make sure to stay safe for the rest of the games until one of them win.

It was hard to watch them try and live, it was hard to watch them have to fear for their life in every corner they turned. Madalyn knew that fear, everyone who has been in that game knows that fear. It was a curse that you have for the rest of your life, whether your life is for another one hundred years or if its ten seconds, tributes know that fear all too well.

Madalyn has been watching most of the day shifts, both Haymitch or Sebastian would be next to her while everyone else slept for their own shift. The girl had to keep herself calm most the time anytime she thought the careers were close to Annie and Ethan. Madalyn had to make sure she kept them safe, she would be nice to people to help get them sponsors, and she would also try her best to make sure Finnick didn't use his body for it.

The two haven't seen each other much, since they had different shifts and couldn't stick close to each other, the two lived separate lives in the capital. Fake lives. Of course it was safer that way, but at the same time the two seemed to be falling apart from each other. When they would talk they would sometimes argue over the best plan forward to try and help the two.

The rest of the mentors knew it was just the stress that two had since their friend was in the games, yet some of the fights seemed brutal. Finnick would take his anger out at the training area while it was empty, while Madalyn just took a walk or went down to the pool.

"What's on your mind kid?" Haymitch asked, sliding her a drink across the bar.

Madalyn smiled a thanks as she grabbed the glass. "What's not on my mind?" she replied, taking a sip of the strong liquid. "The games has that effect." Haymitch laughed, causing her to look at him. "Am I wrong?"

"Not at all." He stated as he downed the rest of his glass.

Madalyn looked up at the screen. "So why are you still here? Both of your kids are gone."

"Ouch."

"Sorry... I meant- I mean like what's keeping you here?" Mads asked while staring at a sleeping Annie. "You rooting for someone."

Haymitch turned to her, "I'm here to make sure you're alright." the man shaking his head. "Seems I've gotten used to you."

"Haymitch Abernathy, do you care about me?"

He scoffed with a laugh. "If that's what you wanna call it." He then saw the way she stared at the screen at Annie and Ethan, the same way he used to stare at the screen for some of his tributes. A look filled with worry, sadness and guilt. It was a well known look of all of the mentors. Haymitch knew the pain of picking one tribute that could come back but wanting another one to win. Haymitch cleared his throat. "You know? A really good way to help with the thought is exercising?"

Madalyn laughed out a scoff. "You exercise?"

"Oh yeah, I do ten miles a day." Haymitch joked.

She rolled her eyes playfully. "Sign me up coach."

Haymitch smiled, finishing his cup as he noticed Sebastian approaching so he got up. "You're a good kid Madalyn."

"You're not so bad yourself old man." Madalyn replied, making Haymitch roll his eyes as he walked off. "Hello husband." She added when Sebastian took his seat.

"Hello wife, any updates?"

Madalyn turned to the screen. "Still alive."

"Good and how are you?"