Chapter 11: The 70th Hunger Games

(Updated 1/25/24)
(One year later- reaping day)

It was another year and another game, the same scheduled "entertainment event" was here once more. The people rushed around carefully as they tried to get their children or themselves ready for the reaping.Yet Madalyn had no intention of rushing like everyone else, the girl barely getting any sleep last night due to her head ringing.

It's been a tough time with her hearing, the girl's left ear was completely silent while the right one blasts sound into her mind. The whole group would have to be careful around her with sound, since her one ear is so sensitive to it.

They also had to watch out for Mags, since the older woman had a stroke of some kind a few weeks back, the poor lady hasn't been able to speak since that day. Madalyn remembered the night that Finnick came running into her room with watery eyes, the boy was concerned for her since she was the reason that he got out of the games... she was like the mother figure he didn't get. The two took shifts watching her, but after a few days Mags was okay. They all still watch her just in case it decides to happen again, but since then it has been quiet.

The girl walked down the rocky path until she reached the sandy ground towards the beach, the waves crashed as she found both Annie and Abigail standing near the water. The water hitting their feet as they watched the sun rise. The two girls have become very close, like two peas in a pod. No one ever saw the one without the other.

"Hey!" Madalyn yelled, walking up to the other two with a small smile. "Figured I'd find you here."

"Mads, hi." Annie stated, meeting her half way and brining her into an embrace. "How did you know we'd be here?"

Abigail just continued to look at the ocean in front of her. Not turning back to see the new figure next to her, her mind must have been thinking about something.

"You both always go here on reaping day." Madalyn explained, pulling away and looking over at Abigail. "Whats up with her?" she whispered.

Annie looked back and then sighed, "Nervous is all."

"You think her name will get pulled? Since she doesn't have her dads protection."

"I hope not... its our last year. We just have to get through this and then we'll be free." Annie spoke, turning back to look at Madalyn. "How are you feeling though?"

"Well since Finnick is watching over Mags he's debating if he should skip mentoring this year... Ryan is going to have to join this year. Which is very interesting." Madalyn said, putting her hands on her hips. "I'm just hoping him and Haymitch don't meet up, those two would drink all the capitals alcohol in minutes."

Annie laughed, "Ryan as in the winner of the fifty-seventh games?"

She nodded, "That's him. The man showed up at my door after my games demanding I tell him about my game, since he refuses to own any electronics."

"Weird, anyway we need to get ready. Abby come on!" Annie screamed, before letting out a sigh. "See you in few weeks?"

"I'll see you then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Madalyn was not in the mood for this year since her tributes from last year both died in the bloodbath. She was a mess that year since her one tribute Frankie was just twelve years old, while Evelyn was eighteen, the older girl was not very nice to the boy.. yet he lived about two minutes more than she did.

This year was Annie and Abigail's last year to get picked, so once this was all over she was happy just to know that her friends will be safe. That they wouldn't have to go through what Finnick, Sebastian and her had to go through. Everyone pilled in like normal as, the guards pricked fingers, wrote names, over and over and over until Willow walked out with a smile. The same boring speech played on the screen for what felt like hours until the escort spoke.