7. Listen

One Saturday afternoon, Watari had suggested (Y/n) to try learning the maps of this city, every shop, every turn or every corner of the streets just to get used and make herself comfortable in the modern world. She could use this knowledge just in case there's business to solve outside, (Y/n) knows her way and what to do without the help of the detective. This would also help her build a facade as Hanako Kamado and L's assistant to the taskforce.

(She didn't miss the look Aizawa gave, once when she almost tripped on the carpet while carrying the files away from their table).

When she first arrived, (Y/n) wasn't sure if it was a panic attack she felt. She had a panic attack once in the past, when she was hit with the news of her family's death from Kagaya-sama during one of the hashira meetings. She's sure they weren't intending to hurt her, but the pitiful look they gave her upon hearing the news were like arrows that shot her paralyzed.

Depressing, yes, it has been a habit of her to ruin any sunny day by thinking back to her darkest moments. (Y/n) thinks she really needs to quit this and start looking at the brighter sight.

For example, she's given a chance to finally relieve her off from the demon hunting duties to enjoy the scenery and lifestyle of the world a century forward in the future to her's. Early on, she didn't get the chance to actually digest her new surroundings. Looking at it clearly now, everything seems gigantic and fascinating. The young hunter were overwhelmed by the lofty buildings and numerous choices of shops and food. The country certainly has expanded and developed greatly.

"Is everything so fascinating to you?" From beside her, Matsuda wondered. Realizing his poor choice of words might sound quite rude, the detective immediately regretted it and said, "S-sorry! It wasn't meant to sound rude!"

(Y/n) tilted her head in wonder.

"I mean, you have this look . . . like your eyes are shining," he rubbed his nape. "You have pretty eyes, like a ruby. But I think yours are prettier than ruby," he added, blushing.

Unfortunately for (Y/n), who doesn't seem to get the hint, nods back with an understanding smile.

Moments before they left the headquarters, Matsuda had seen Watari give (Y/n) a shopping bag of women's clothes. He didn't waste a second to ask where she was leaving for and (Y/n) wasn't bothered to explain. Thus, Matsuda almost bounced on his steps when she accepted his offer for a companion. The hunter saw no problems in that and having a man to accompany her would reduce the possibility of whatever threats loomed at every corner of the city streets- means, she didn't have to risk accidentally revealing some of her slayer skills.

Chief Yagami had sighed at the childish act of one of his detectives, Aizawa scrunched between his eyebrows and muttered something impolite under his breath, the others pretend not to care. Light, however, had a funny look on his face.

A scheming look.

(Y/n) did not like that. She suspects the teen might have started to see her as a threat and considered her his 'enemies' like the other task force members. She would not be content with the idea of being added into one of his 'to dispose of' lists, thank you very much.

When their eyes met across the room, they both cracked a smile, the same one they have given each other during their first encounter. A smile forge of sensible reasoning, thoughts concealed under a plastic facade. He hides himself under an elaborated hoax, she mused.

A certain detective had been contemplating their exchange the whole time, not missing the tension slipping in the air. Ryuuzaki observed with watchful eyes as the elevator door closed on her.

___________________________________________

In the modern world, there were no demons, demon hunters, victors or devoured.