2-2: The Devil's Boon

"There we go, it's not too heavy, right?" Ritsuki adjusted the straps that ran over the saddle. The elk shook his head as if to tell him he was fine.

The injured calf they found had been a red elk, and as he grew his orange-crimson fur became more and more prominent, as were his two towering horns.

They named him 'Akai' for the colour of his fur, as well as for his love of the water.

"That should be all your rations for this month, Momota..." the spectacled man said behind his tall grey ledger.

"Thank you most kindly, Mister Yamada..." The boy nodded as he adjusted his navy blue coloured cowl.

Ritsuki was dressed in rather regal attire, a tucked-in robe the same colour as his cowl with puffy pants and a beige-coloured overcoat which went down to his knees.

His deep brown hair was styled into a fine and proper bun under his hood.

Four years and seven months had passed since Ritsuki and his mother moved into their secluded home in the hills, and the boy was now seventeen years old.

He was a looker, though not handsome in the traditional manly sense; should he be described, you would use words like pretty, fair, or gorgeous. The boy could even pass for a fetching young woman with the right clothes and makeup.

He had never grown out of his peachy complexion, but he was nonetheless known for being reliable and honest; the people of Bizen often joked the boy was as strong as an ox.

"I shall be going now." He was doing well for himself.

Just as his mother hoped Ritsuki would overcome the grief of his father's death if he nursed the injured calf back to health, the boy had grown rather fond of Akai the red elk.

"Do be careful on your way, Momota." the ledger said without looking up from his pages.

"Hmm...?" the boy turned back and Akai stopped as well.

"Lots of bandits on road these days and you're only armed with that walking stick. I can't exactly offer insurance for your rice, you know...?" the spectacled man just shrugged.

"I see, thank you, Mister Yamada..." he promptly nods and went on his way, tugging on the strap of Akai's saddle he guided the red elk through the village crowd.

He would spare content glances at the humble settlement on his way back, taking in the rural lives of the people.

He turned to his left where the contemporary village stretched up to the hills, Bizen was known for its pottery and furniture. Then he turned to his right, the bay was busy with fishermen paddling across the cool evening waters.

"Do you think they've been fruitful, Akai?" the boy sighs as he turned to his beastly friend.

The animal shook his head and squeaked, Ritsuki softly laughs.

"Oy, Momota-san...!" he heard someone call from the bay, a young man he immediately recognised was waving from one of the fishing boats.

"Ah, it's Hiroshi..." he waved back, "He's always too familiar with everyone..." Ritsuki mumbled with a chuckle and Akai seemed to agree with him with another squeak.

Hiroshi seemed ecstatic that he had waved back, pumping his fist as he jumped about atop his fishing boat. Ritsuki turned his head forward again and smiled.

People would wave and tip their hats as he passed them by, the town's atmosphere was lovely.

"Oh, if only I were a few years younger..." one elderly woman even jokingly laments which draws a chuckle from Ritsuki.