4-3: Butterfly Effect

Ritsuki's mother had left to "tend to the garden", but really, she wanted her son to make friends with the first pretty girl who had visited their house in ages. Unknowingly allowing an awkward silence to settle between them as Ritsuki, who didn't believe the stranger in their house was merely a simple traveller; and Kanae, who had already confirmed the identity of the "Flaming Demon" - as he had come to be known through the ranks of the Demon Slayer Corps - while Ritsuki was unconscious at the hospital.

Akiko did not forget to provide them with tea before she went out. However, Ritsuki had forgotten about it and Kanae, being a guest and unwilling to drink from her cup before her host, had refrained as well; leading to both cups of tea turning cold.

After a long while of tense silence, Kanae finally decides to break the ice. She cleared her throat softly as she spoke up, her voice gentle but carrying a certain authority.

"Momota-san, was it?" Kanae begins, trying to maintain a polite and non-threatening demeanour, "Your mother mentioned that you moved here four years ago from Takamatsu. Was it difficult settling in after living in a city for so long?"

Ritsuki, still a bit wary, nods slowly, "It was... hardy, I suppose."

Kanae offers a small smile in getting a civil response from the boy, "I can imagine it must have been peaceful after you got used to it; living away from all the bustle. And your garden... it seems very well cared for."

Ritsuki waves his hand, "Mother does most of the work in tending to the garden. I just take care of the chickens and Akai." he says with a small shrug.

"Akai?" Kanae nods gently and trying to keep the conversation going, "That's a rather interesting name. And the way you speak of him tells me you share quite a bond."

Ritsuki gave a small chuckle, "Yeah, he's been a great help for when I have to fetch our rations from the port," he smiled, "He's... not a regular breed, though. He's a red elk... native to the northeastern regions, so I've heard."

"I see..." Unfortunately for Kanae, she didn't know much trivia about red elks to keep that particular conversation going, so their dialogue just settled into an awkward silence once again.

Ritsuki's prior stiffness had gradually eroded as he conversed with the polite young lady, however, he still did not believe her to be a simple traveller who came across their house by sheer coincidence.

"Your mother also mentioned that you were recovering from an injury after a recent midnight fishing accident." Kanae's expression seemed to soften as she recalled.

"Ah... yes, I just got out today." The boy chuckled softly, "Quite unfortunate what happened. I had worried I would need to fork up at least a month's worth of labour to cover my expenses, but someone had strangely paid for everything."

His recounting of the case with his recovery made in idle had managed to cause the gears in his head to turn. Sparing a glance at Kanae eventually led him to piece together the somewhat obvious signs that had flown over his head.

Fishing into his breast pocket, Ritsuki placed the cryptic note he got from his anonymous donor on the small table, "I received this from the hospital's reception as I was being discharged. They said that the person who paid for my bills was some nice lady who they'd never met"

He sat straight and folded his arms, "She didn't say her name. Only that she was a traveller from Kyoto..."

Kanae's soft expression didn't shift even slightly, save for her gentle smile which seemed to turn more genuine.

"Who are you?" Ritsuki's voice commanded authority in turn, convinced that this person who deceived him more than likely harboured ill intentions towards himself and his mother, "Are you even really from Kyoto?"