3-3: A Dance in Katakami Bay

Ritsuki contemplated his options should the demon initiate an assault. He could dodge the initial strike and use his blade to counter-attack, his favoured technique to dispatch opponents quickly.

But he had only fought against the supernatural once when he used a shovel, and things did not go smoothly for him on that occasion.

He could still feel the searing phantom pain in his upper back as he adjusted his gaslamp hung from the bow of his fishing boat.

"But I have my father's sword with me now..." he reassured himself, padding on his father's blade that sat beside him, "Would be hard to keep my balance on a boat though..." he muttered as he nodded to himself.

He had relinquished his rowing and returned to play with the fishing net, humming a tune again after adjusting the thatched mantle he wore as part of his "Fisherman Disguise".

His thoughts once again drifted to the demon. How had he himself not noticed the disappearances sooner? There were many able-bodied young men in town and surely they would not hesitate to help him on this stake.

"Which simply will not do..." Ritsuki quickly halted that train of thought, "Tonight, I shall put this demon away. No one has to be in danger, no one except for me..."

Gripping tightly at the fishing net, he wondered if he could perhaps use it in some way for the coming fight.

A sound came from the water, a splash Ritsuki quickly turned behind him as he unconsciously unsheathed his father's tachi.

"It is near...?" he mused to himself with a gulp as he made out a dim light in the distance rocking above the waters.

He could just make out the silhouette of another lone fishing boat before he frowned. Was there a fisherman out here with him?

Squinting his eyes as the light softly grew brighter, he realised exactly who was on the other fishing boat.

"No..." he croaked out, "No, that boy-!" he cursed as he reeled in disbelief.

Ritsuki had no idea who the other individual behind Hiroki was, but he could still scarcely make them out to be a lot younger.

"He never listens to me...!" He pinched the bridge of his nose.

He saw a hand rise from the distant boat to awkwardly wave at him. Ritsuki gave a deep sigh as he raised his sword to wave back.

"That's it then, I won't teach him that technique he's been nagging me about, I simply won't..." he disclosed solemnly but smiled nonetheless when he thought of a suitable punishment, "Perhaps that'll teach him a thing or two about respect and honesty, and huh-? Hah-!"

Ritsuki's words were abruptly halted when something lurched from the silent midnight waters. The boy turned just in time to bring his chained gauntlet to block it.

He briefly caught sight of pale skin and a distinctly hairless head, the figure was bald and even had no eyebrows. Its prominent and large, yet blunt set of vaguely human-shaped teeth glistened from the orange light of Ritsuki's gaslamp.

"Hoh!" The boy cried as the demon bit down on his chain-wrapped forearm hard enough to produce a spark, biting down with so much force that Ritsuki winced.

The demon's jaw seemed disjointed and hung so vast that he could swallow an entire human head in one bite.

"Aha! This one is feisty!" the demon laughed, biting down on Ritsuki's chain-guarded forearm with his jarring white teeth.

The boy took notice of the ornaments on the demon's neck and arms, retching jewellery fashioned from human bones and tendons. Clearly, this demon was one that took pride in his unruly sport.