Chapter 5:

Mon-El sat at the foot of Lena's bed after they snook back in, staring blankly ahead. What did this mean for him? His girlfriend and her best friend were going to have a child. Mon-El isn't blind, he knows how Kara looks at the youngest Luthor, and how her face lights up when talks about her. The same look she gets when she's in front of a plate of potstickers... but brighter. He longs for Kara to look at him that way. Now there is a child, half Kara, and half Lena. How is he supposed to compete with that? He tries. He's trying to be a hero like she wants him to be. He's learning earth's ways, trying to be everything his old self wasn't but it's still not enough. He isn't her. Lena.

What's so special about Lena? He's smart, he's handsome, he's strong and he's a good fighter. What does she have that he doesn't? On Daxam he was the perfect man, every girl wanted to bed him, to do anything for him, to marry him. But there is nothing he can do to make Kara swoon over him like they did. Frustration grew in Mon-El. When they found out the zygote wasn't his, but Kara's, he saw so many emotions dance across Lena's face before a familiar one graced upon it. The same look Kara gives Lena every time she sees her. The one he catches her giving when Lena isn't even looking. The one that Mon-El is grasping for but can't seem to reach. The look of someone in love.

Lena had been frozen in place ever since they had rushed back to her chambers. Being a mother was never something Lena envisioned for herself. She knew nothing about being a mother. She couldn't remember much of her birth mother, only flashes of the day she had lost her. Lionel once talked about her when Lena was around 14. He had only uttered a mere few sentences, saying she was too kind, which of course Lionel saw as a weakness. He said Lena must be more like a Luthor to survive in this world and less like her birth mother. Lillian never treated Lena like her own child. She was so cold to her growing up, which Lena now knows was probably because she reminded her of her father's affair. Lena was only four years old when she was taken to the Luthor manor and introduced to her new mother. She didn't deserve how Lillian had treated her from day one. Always second best to her big brother Lex. Still, Lena tried tirelessly to impress her, with her academics, her inventions, and her extra-curricular activities, but nothing she did ever got Lillian's attention or approval, or God forbid make her proud of her. What she did get from Lillian was her disappointment, which she had always made sure to remind her of. Making sure she never forgot she was never going to be as good as Lex. Lillian had taught Lena nothing about what being a mother meant, and how they were meant to love their children. Love is something Lena never got from her.

Lena thought back to her conversations with Kara about children. On earth, Kara can't conceive children naturally, not under a yellow sun. Kara's Kryptonian skin is too strong to carry a child full term, the pressure on them would be too great. She had struggled to come to terms with not being able to have a biological child of her own. Another child of Krypton, someone to share her history with, and her dying language. And now... Kara would get that chance. It warmed Lena. This could be an opportunity to give her best friend what she had deeply craved and had to grieve.

They had both been silent ever since they had slipped back out the lab and rushed back to Lena's room. Their thoughts running a thousand miles a minute.

"Mon-El?" Lena says.

Mon-El jolts, as if awaken from a deep trance. He then stands, making his way towards the door.

"I'm going to head out, big day tomorrow" he says, with a downcast smile and a tense jaw.

Lena nods and watches him leave. She lets out a long sigh, a much needed one after the events of the day. She closes her eyes and lets her head fall back onto the pillow.

When Lena opened her eyes again, it was morning, her dreaded 'wedding day'.

Lena's stomach turned thinking of destruction being done in the city below her. If she didn't marry Mon-El she knew it would get much much worse. If she can convince the queen she is being compliant maybe she can convince her to stop wreaking havoc on the innocent.