𝟎𝟎𝟏. brand new person

CHAPTER ONEBRAND NEW PERSON

CHAPTER ONE
BRAND NEW PERSON

          Colorless snow drapes over what used to be lively green grass and paints over the tips of each pine tree in the distance

          Colorless snow drapes over what used to be lively green grass and paints over the tips of each pine tree in the distance. Alaska sits on the nook by the window, covered in a knitted blanket with her knees glued to her chest. She likes looking out, patiently waiting for the sunset and watching the trees as they move with the wind. Her mind is vacant— partially the reason why she likes to sit there in the first place.

  Alaska sits there more often than not. Sometimes, with a book in her grasp. Other times, with music playing through her Walkman. But no matter the occasion nor the circumstance, Alaska would be found by the window.

"Here ya' go," Maria breaks the silence that fills the home, passing Alaska a mug of hot chocolate.

  Alaska almost jumps at the sudden voice, quick to turn her head. "Thanks," she mumbles, taking a sip and soon turning back to admire the view.

  Maria nods, sitting right in front of Alaska. She brings her own mug to her lips, taking a small sip before speaking once again. "So," Maria begins. "You're coming to the Winter Dance tonight, right?" She asks.

Alaska rolls her eyes.

  Maria and Tommy have been trying to convince her to go to this damn dance for years. Every year, each time Maria had planned this dance, she and Tommy had asked her to go. And every time, Alaska gave them the same answer. An eye roll. A groan. A sigh. Anything but what they had hoped to hear.

  "Maria, I've already told you. I don't need a bunch of people staring, and making weird small talk, and asking me questions about—" Alaska rambles on, considering every terrible possibility.

  "Okay. Okay, I get it." Maria's eyes close as she sighs deeply. "But it would mean a lot to Tommy and I if you came with us this year." She grins and places her hand over Alaska's.

  Alaska's eyes soften. She had never really been in the mindset to go to any of the previous Winter Dances. It has taken Alaska a long time to heal from the things that Sybil put her through, both mentally and physically. But, nonetheless, she's been present now more than she has ever been before. Alaska has grown to appreciate Maria's persistence.