𝟎𝟎𝟒. the world is empty

CHAPTER FOURTHE WORLD IS EMPTY

CHAPTER FOUR
THE WORLD IS EMPTY

          Inevitably, everything comes crashing down within the blink of an eye

Inevitably, everything comes crashing down within the blink of an eye. Everything you knew becomes ashes, leaving your world entirely empty. No one really knows what happens when the world finally becomes silent. Alaska wonders what it must feel like to be the only survivor. She wonders what it must feel like to be the last person to die after having everything taken from you.

Is it a relief? Or does it just feel like you did all of this for nothing?

Junie runs against the wind, blowing an overwhelming breeze that makes Alaska's chest ache. Shimmer runs equally as fast, beside Junie as she passes endless rows of pine trees and other leafless plants. There's a part of Alaska, a part that she won't accept, that knows something isn't right. Perhaps there's something in the air, something thick that holds her down and forbids her from being able to breathe. She feels it in the very pit of her stomach— something is wrong.

  She's lost count of how many times she's called out for Tommy. Ellie had done the same for Joel. But neither of them would stop, neither of them would give up. It feels like there's some sort of adrenaline that consumes them, an energy that makes them feel as though everything that surrounds them is moving much quicker than usual.

  "Joel!" Ellie calls out again, cupping her mouth with her hand to make her voice sound louder against the strong wind.

  Alaska's breath is heavy, "Tommy!" she yells with whatever strength is left in her lungs.

  Still, there's no sign of them.

  The pit in Alaska's stomach grows more each time that she doesn't receive an answer to her yells. The worry that tickles the back of her neck starts to get overwhelming and she starts to wonder how bad things will be once they do finally find Joel and Tommy.