Prologue

(Trigger warning!! Abuse)

More than the sun and the moon, she said. More than the earth and sky, she said. She loved me more than the sun and the moon and the earth and the sky. And with those words, she taught me just how fragile they were.

"I want to see mom."

My father looked down on me, a terrifying giant, a creature that stalks the night. He was burning. Fire so bright, so strong my skin slowly reduced to blotches of black and red. But I stayed where I was. Because something told me I had to.

"No. You don't."

The room was quiet, filled only by unsaid words. But his flames were not. Each flicker told me a million words.

"Gone."

"No."

"Never."

"Gone. Gone. Gone."

"Please. I miss her."

His fire began to consume me. My arms reduced to scorches.

"No. You. Don't." He seethed. He could barely get the words out through his ground teeth.

"GONE. GONE. GONE." The flames chanted.

"But I do. Please, father, I love her."

The room turned to ice, even as the red consumed it.

"But she doesn't love you! She doesn't want to see you! She left you! Can't you see? She is not your mother because she chooses not to be! You are a monster! You are her monster!"

A lie. That's what I tried to tell myself. He was lying. Because how could he not be? Of course it was a lie, my mother loved me. More than the sun and the moon, and the earth and the sky.

But when I looked into his eyes, I realized the moon had gone hot, and the sun had gone cold. And the earth and sky had collided. Because there were no lies to be found in his stare.