15. Go

School was quieter now, or it felt quieter at least. Like something that used to be there was taken. Stolen away. 

But I didn’t come to school for noise. 

“Your objective today is to protect this ring!” All Might loudly proclaimed to the class, holding up a small plastic ring that children would dive for in pools. “I’ll pair you all off into groups, your objective is to take a ring from your opponent, and keep yours safe. Simple enough!”
I resisted the urge to cover my ears at his words. The light of the outdoor area made me feel lightheaded enough, but the noise forced it to become dizzying. 

What was worse though, was the feeling of three pairs of eyes on me. I didn’t have to turn to know that it was Yaoyorozu, Jirou, and Kaminari. They spent more time looking at me than breathing it seemed. 

“Yae! You’re back! You’re really alive!” I felt two arms wrap around me, yellow hair blocking my vision. I knew from the faint scent of mangos and cheap cologne that it was Kaminari. 

Something in my gut churned and I couldn’t look him in the eye when he pulled away. I just had to say it. But how to put it into words? That we weren’t friends. That I was cruel let him believe so because for a moment I let myself pretend I was more than just a machine. That I could disobey my father and that would be okay. 

“I-” I opened my mouth to speak, hoping I would find the perfect way to say it, but was stopped by the presence of two more. 

“Let her breathe dumbass,” Jirou groaned, prying him off of me. And then she smiled at me. And suddenly I couldn’t breathe right. “You alright? We were really worried about you.” She shared a nervous look with Yaoyorozu before turning back to me.

“I’m fine.” Say it. Say it. “Don’t-” All three of their eyes bore into me, my throat swelled and I panicked that I would cry instead. No. I had to do this. “Don’t talk to me.” My words hit and all of their faces paled, Kaminari looking shocked alongside Jirou, while Yaoyorozu looked down, as if expecting this. “I didn’t mean to-” I did mean to. I was cruel. “I didn’t mean to make you think we were friends.” 

“What?” Kaminari limply said, his eyes wide and confused. 

“I’m sorry.” I wanted to take it all back. Swallow my words and let things be. But no, no, that was wrong. 

“Come on,” Yaoyorozu said, placing a hand on Jirou’s shoulder. “We should sit down.”

I barely heard All Might mark off groups from a list until my own name was read, “Yae Todoroki and Ashido, against… um-” His voice went quiet for one blessed moment before he loudly proclaimed, “Let's make it Jirou and Bakugou! Now have fun you zygotes!” 

I could feel the girl give me a meaningful look, one I refused to return. 

I slowly made my way towards the ball of pink energy standing on our own section of field. 

She grinned at me, but it was hard to tell with how bright the sun was. It was so bright, I wondered how everyone was still standing?

“We’ll totally kill this exercise! The two acid girlies! What could be a better combo?”
I blinked, slowly understanding her words. I nodded, barely, but she seemed to understand. Clearing my throat, speaking for the first time in hours, I slowly replied,“I’ll take our ring, and you attack. I expect Bakugou will come after me first, as long as you don’t get in his way. The second he arrives, you should take off for Jirou.”

“Great plan!” She exclaimed. Why was everyone so loud? 

Under her breath she muttered, “I’m so lucky I got paired with the smart kid.”