4

It had been a week since Techno found Tommy. The child had quickly started showing his loud personality, demanding attention with every waking moment. But somehow Techno couldn't bring himself to be too annoyed. Even when Tommy clung to his arm or leg while doing chores. Or when he would jump on Techno's bed in the early morning for breakfast. Or even when the child threw tantrums when he didn't get what he wanted, Techno remained patient with him.

Because at the end of the day, Tommy was gentle. When Techno's wolf had pups, Tommy held the littlest one with such care. His eyes were glossy as he stared at the little body squirming and squeaking in his hands. Techno remembered the way he let the pup chew on his thumb, and the way he carefully set it down to nurse, quietly proclaiming that this one was his.

But now Techno had found a village for Tommy to stay in. A small town with a nice orphanage, and no history of human sacrifices. They were a peaceful town who worshiped the Goddess of Death and her Angel by celebrating life. Ironic in a way, but as long as Tommy would be safe there Techno didn't care.

Techno took a deep breath as he watched Tommy eat breakfast. Some kind of mortal flat cake that's covered in boiled tree sap. Apparently Tommy liked it, as he asked for it almost every morning. Techno bit the inside of his cheek. Stop caring about the child. Today was the day he would take Tommy to the new village.

Tommy looked up, pancake still stuffed in his mouth. He swallowed harshly, "What's that look for?"

"What look?" Techno turned his gaze to the cup in front of him. The thin layer of blood on the bottom was starting to dry, cracking into a million splinters. Techno felt like it was an accurate depiction of how he was feeling.

"I dunno. You just have a look." Tommy scooped up another piece of his pancake, "like you're sad or something."

" 'm not sad." Techno grunted.

"M'kay." Tommy stuffed his face again. He took a moment to chew and swallow again, "I like hugs when I'm sad."

Techno hummed, tipping his cup to one edge, "I can't remember the last time I hugged someone."

"Is that why you look so sad all the time?" Tommy asked.

"Maybe." Techno rolled the edge of his glass around, "I've been hurt a lot in my life."

"Oh." Tommy looked at his plate, "I have too."

The glass fell. Techno's hand hovered over it as he looked up at Tommy. The small child was poking his pancake with his fork, as if he had lost his appetite. Techno saw the way Tommy would flinch when he was too quick. The way he would fall silent after Techno yelled. Every time it broke something in Techno a little more.

The god turned to face Tommy, leaning over the table twords him. He locked eyes with the child as Tommy looked up.

"If you're ever hurt or in danger," Techno said, "call for me. No matter how far away I am, I promise, I will find you."

"What if I can't?" Tommy asked.

"All you need," Techno stood up, moving around the table. He wrapped his arms around Tommy and pulling close, "is to think of me and I will come."

Tommy buried his face in Techno's chest. He leaned into the hug, as if he wanted to get as close as possible to the warmth Techno seemed to radiate. Tommy nodded, "okay."

Techno hummed, carding his fingers through the golden locks, "you're going to be leaving soon."

Tommy's lip trembled, "do I have to?"

"Yes." Techno spoke softly, "I'm not safe for you."

"Why not?" Tommy looked up. There were tears in his eyes.

"People want to hurt me." Techno explained, "you'd be safer away from me."

"Oh." Tommy looked back down, "when am I leaving?"

Techno closed his eyes, holding Tommy just a bit tighter, "today."

Tommy hiccuped slightly, "I'll miss you."

"I will too." Techno said.

Tommy quietly sobbed. Techno continued to hold him until he cried out all his tears. Until the child fell asleep in his arms. Then Techno picked him up. The boy stirred, but didn't wake. Techno carried Tommy outside to where Carl was. He hefted them both into the saddle easily. Then Techno took off twords the gate that would lead them to Tommy's new home.

Techno didn't rush. He let Carl walk at a slow pace through the woods that surrounded his home. A gift from the Goddess of Death given so long ago that it felt like another life. All too soon, the spark of gateway shone between the trees. Tommy slumbered on, unaware of the growing wall of flames that they passed through. Moments later they were in a warm spring forest. The new town shimmered in the distance.

The Blood God rode through the town, ignoring the gasps and whispers following him. He went straight to the orphanage. Techno slid off his horse, kneeling on the steps of the building. Tommy was layed down by the entrance, still wrapped in the fur lined cloak Techno gave him.

Techno leaned his head forward to rest against Tommy's, "goodbye, Theseus."