Chapter - 10

George began to enjoy his new school and new home. It was a lot livelier than England. There was more to adventure too. He also came to know more of his new classmates like Tina, Caroline, Darryl, Zak, Hannah, Luke and Sam. He was through his first month of his new school without talking to that Clay guy even though the latter always looked at him during classes. 

As already said, George is a guy who is not at all sporty, was always lazy and he hated any sort of physical activity. When Nick asked him if he could play basketball, his instance reflex was 'no'.

"Really? You don't know basketball?" He said, one eyebrow up. "Well what difference does it make? I'm adding you in my team all the same..."

"But what? I don't know how to play. What'll be my work there?"

"It doesn't matter."

"But still..." George protested weakly. 

"You've gotta learn, that's what matters." Nick replied casually not thinking about the discomforts the brunette might have. And to George's astonishment and disgust, Clay was in Nick's team as well. So, there was it, they were today prepping in the post recess b-ball game.

***

"That did hurt." A guy of the opposite team muttered. George bet it did. Clay has given him a hard elbow in the ribs while guarding that guy. Jose, the man supervising them didn't notice. George could guess why. Clay was fast and Jose was on the opposite side of the court.

The guy twisted around Clay and pounded down the court. Alex snatched the ball from him, mean while George and Karl got themselves closer to the basket as Alex made a wild shot from outside the perimeter.

Didn't make it. Not even close. Didn't even hit the backboard.

Darryl snagged at the ball and started toward his team's basket. Clay got right on the same guy. Nick guarded Sam. Darryl did a nice behind-the-back pass to a girl with braids who managed to position herself right under the basket. 'Well nice for his team I mean...' George thought.

Wham! George heard a sound of a body hitting the wooden floor.

Skweeeet! Jose blew his whistle before the girl with braids had time to make her shop. Jose called a foul on Clay. "What is your problem?" The guy asked.

"What news did you spread about me?" Clay shot back. George was a bit stunned to hear Clay's voice for the first time since he came here. It was deep yet boisterous. This guy no doubt spoke quite less but when he did, gosh, it was fire, well fire in full blast.

"Nothing." The guy replied. He headed over to take his free-throw shot.

"I don't think it all happened for nothing." said Clay as he stepped into position close to the guy as he could get. George stayed as close as he could get to them, he was very curious. 'Spread what news?' He just couldn't help thinking.

That guy locked his eyes on the basket. He gave the ball a couple of bounces, then a couple more. Yes, he had trouble focussing. 

"You better tell the truth, Harold. Or I'll know for whom to come for." Clay said coldly. Ok, so that guy's name was Harold. And that statement pretty much sounded like a threat. Harold let the ball go rolling across the floor. Jose grabbed it and threw it to him.

"You guys know it was a rumour, why keep on pushing now?" Nick said, probably and attempt to calm Clay down. So, Nick knows about it too?

"Nick, now many people believe this rumour as a truth now. I'm sure it was you who started it, isn't?" Clay pushed.

"Hey! No way! That's not true and everybody knows that." Harold burst out.

"Are we chatting or playing basketball here?" Karl called out. 

"Shoot the ball!" shouted the girl with braids.

" It was you, admit it." Clay said again.

"You're crazy." Harold said and turned away. Clay charged forward and slammed his shoulder on Harold's back.

Skweeeet! Jose's whistle blasted off again. "That's it!" He yelled "Clay, you've got schoolwork. You better go to the library and do it now! And Harold, you get back to the classroom."

"But I didn't do any-" Harold began.

"No, I don't want to hear it. Please go." Jose ordered.

'Well, now this was a bit bizarre.' George thought. If it would've been someone else, there would be some 'oohs' and some 'that's so funfair's' or even some laughs. But now it was just pin-drop silence as the two went out of the court.