Chapter VIII: "The Plan"

Joanna beckoned the six of them over to the counter as she quickly locked the pawn shop door, flipped the "open" sign around, and turned off the light.

"What are you doing?" Shelly asked.

"'Closing' the shop so we can safely speak," Joanna replied. "I know you wouldn't be back here already if it wasn't Jewel business, and my dad warned me not to tell anyone about our links to the group." She finished disguising the shop and returned to the counter. "I assume they already know?" she added, motioning towards the young Jewels.

"Oh, they don't just know," Shelly clarified. "This is Volcanic Ash, Windmill, Stone Armor, and Light Rod!"

"They're four-sixths of the brand new team of ring-holders we've put together," Brent continued.

"Really? Wow!" Joanna grinned at this. "Now, I just feel bad that Dad's not here. He's out doing errands. But it's wonderful to meet you all! Really!"

"Nice to meet us?!" Nettuno replied. "You're a reincarnate!"

Joanna giggled at this. "Well, we could spend all day being fans of each other, and I'm sure we'd enjoy that, but we do have business to get to, I'm sure."

"Yeah," Brent confirmed. "It's about the psychic you may have gotten a call from."

"Oh, the alien weirdo?" Joanna replied. "Quite the debut mission!"

"Right?!" said Haden. "Does your dad have anything here that works against psychics?"

"I'm sure he does!" she confirmed. "But they won't be of any use to you unless we know where this one's hiding. Did any of you save the voicemail?"

"I did!" Kenta confirmed, unlocking his phone and passing it over to Joanna.

"Perfect!" she beamed. "I'm gonna go run an IP match in the back. Do you mind?"

"Of course not!" Kenta replied, and Joanna headed off.

"That was brilliant of you, saving the voicemail," Haden complimented him with a laugh while they were waiting. "You just saved us from a long afternoon."

Kenta laughed back. "Well, I figured it would be safe to do so. It's our first fight as superheroes. I'm not taking any chances."

"Believe me, I understand that," Haden replied, briefly darting his eyes away from his crush's. How head-over-heels was he that he couldn't even compliment him without his feelings for him eating him alive? How much longer could he wait to tell him?

A few minutes later, Joanna made her way back in. "I've got a match!" she announced, tossing Kenta's phone back to him in the process. "Your psychic's a smart one. He got himself an island on Lake Ontario that hasn't even been charted before!"

"Tiān na!" said Monisha. "How do we get there?"

"I'll have to check with my dad to see if he has any teleportation devices. We can mail whatever we find to the Crusans' home address, if they don't mind."

"Do what you need to do!" Shelly said. Brent nodded and started writing down their address on the piece of paper that Joanna then provided him.

"Ooh, until then, I have one final gift for you!" Joanna said. "Something you can use to wipe a psychic of his powers."

She went into the back once again, and returned with a white pistol with a hot pink metal disc attached to it with a chain.

"This must be the PDC," Monisha thought aloud.

"Yep!" Joanna confirmed. "All you have to do is toss the disc into the air and shoot it with the gun. It'll hit your psychic with power-disabling chemicals."

"Ace!" Haden shouted. "Sounds like a plan! He won't know what hit him!"

"I like your confidence!" Joanna replied, high-fiving Haden, before the latter turned his attention to the others in the room.

"So, what now?" he asked.

"Now, we go home," Brent replied. "Let the others know about the plan, and figure out when we're gonna go!"

"Jewels on three?" Shelly added on with a smile, placing her hand in the middle. Everyone nodded. Brent put his hand in next, followed by Haden, Monisha, Nettuno, Kenta, and, finally, Joanna.

"One, two, three, Jewels!"