Prologue - The Beast in the Woods

The moon cast its silvery light upon the forest floor, illuminating the twisted branches of ancient trees that had stood sentinel for centuries. The wind rustled through the foliage, conveying with it a medley of haunting tunes as the nocturnal animals crooned their spooky songs. In the heart of the woods, danger lurked, hidden from sight by the dense foliage and the shadows that danced on the ground.

A solitary person, panting and unkempt, stumbled amid the thicket, his eyes wide with fear. His tattered clothes were stained with dirt and sweat, evidence of his desperate flight through the dark forest. The man's heart raced, pounding like a drum in his chest, as he fought to put as much distance between himself and the nightmare that pursued him.

He could hear it, the guttural growl of the beast, drawing nearer with every step he took. The air was thick with the scent of decay, a sinister reminder of the grisly fate that awaited him if he failed to escape. The creature was a twisted abomination, its body a grotesque fusion of animal and human features. It stood tall on muscular hind legs, its arms ending in razor-sharp claws, hungry for its next victim. Legend had it that the beast guarded a hidden gateway to another realm, and it was said that any unfortunate soul who crossed its path would be forever lost to the world of the living.

His legs ached, his lungs burned, but he couldn't stop, couldn't afford to slow down. He knew that to hesitate for even a moment would mean certain death. As the man burst into a small clearing, he dared to glance back over his shoulder. What he saw in the shadows made his blood run cold, his breath catch in his throat. The creature was massive, its monstrous form shrouded in darkness, its emerald eyes glowing like twin lanterns as they bore into his very soul.

He could feel its presence, the malevolent energy that seemed to radiate from the beast as it stalked its prey. There was no escape, no place to hide from the relentless hunter that pursued him. The man's knees buckled, and he collapsed to the ground, sobbing and gasping for breath.

In the distance, the creature let out a triumphant howl, a sound that chilled the man's bones and filled him with a sense of impending doom. He knew he had reached the end of his journey, that his time had finally run out. As the beast drew nearer, its growls and snarls echoing through the forest, the man could only close his eyes and pray for a swift and merciful end.

Little did he know, his harrowing encounter with the beast would set in motion a chain of events that would shake the foundations of reality itself. The nightmare that would soon descend upon an unsuspecting group of friends, whose ill-fated camping trip would lead them straight into the heart of darkness, was only the beginning. And as the rusted estate car bounced along the dirt road, carrying Lucy, Michael, Julie, and James towards their camping destination, the events that were about to unfold would forever change their lives, challenge their perceptions of the world, and the very fabric of their friendship.