Chapter 3 - Shadows and Silhouettes

Lucy awoke abruptly, the steady beat of her heart reverberating in her ears. The image of the monstrous beast James had conjured as a prank haunted her thoughts, sending icy tendrils of fear down her spine. She lay there, her inhalations rapid, shallow gasps, as she stared at the tent's canvas roof above her. The subtle scent of wet earth and pine needles permeated the air, an oddly comforting reminder of the world outside her temporary shelter. She willed her racing heart to calm, her heavy eyelids fluttering in her desperate attempt to find sleep once more.

However, the fragile veil of silence was abruptly shattered by a sharp cracking sound. Lucy's body tensed, her senses on high alert as she strained to pinpoint the origin of the noise. The unmistakable echo of a branch snapping reverberated through the forest, slicing through the darkness like a knife. Her heart froze, and her eyes widened as the panic gripped her like a vice. Instinctively, she reached for Michael, seeking the comfort of his presence, but her hand met only cold, empty air.

She sat up, her heart hammering even more frantically now. The dim light filtering through the tent's fabric threw eerie shadows on the canvas walls, their distorted shapes moving and changing with each passing moment. The damp chill of the forest seeped through the tent, raising goosebumps on Lucy's skin as she shivered involuntarily. She called out for Michael, her voice a trembling whisper, but there was no response—only the haunting sounds of the night and her own ragged breathing.

Lucy's voice wavered as she called out into the darkness, her fear palpable in the tremble of her words. "Michael? Where are you?" She strained to listen, but the only reply was the haunting silence that engulfed the tent. The shadows seemed to close in on her, feeding her growing unease.

She swallowed hard, trying to loosen the knot in her throat, and called out again, louder and more desperate. "Michael, please, answer me!" The echo of her own voice sent a shiver down her spine, heightening her sense of isolation.

As she waited for a response that never came, she became acutely aware of her body's reactions to her mounting fear. Her heart pounded like a drum in her chest, echoing in her ears as if to remind her of her vulnerability. Sweat beaded on her forehead, the cool dampness sending a chill down her neck. Her hands trembled, her fingers grasping at the fabric of her sleeping bag for stability.

A gust of wind rustled the leaves outside, momentarily distracting her from her inner turmoil. When the smell of moss and moist soil filled her lungs, she was brought back to her current predicament. She had to do something, anything, but the thought of venturing into the unknown was paralysing.

Taking a deep, shaky breath, she concentrated hard. "Michael, I need you," she whispered, her voice cracking with emotion. "I don't know what to do without you." Her plea hung in the air, a fragile thread of hope in the oppressive darkness.

Lucy's heart was pounding as she threw off her sleeping bag, quickly pulled on her jeans, and poked her head out of the tent's canvas door. She squinted into the darkness, straining to make out the vague shapes outside. A pair of eerie blue lights throbbed from the heart of the forest before fading into the darkness. Her eyes darted frantically in all directions, struggling to decipher the unsettling scene.

With her pulse pounding in her ears, Lucy sprinted towards the other tent. She stumbled over the uneven ground, her body quivering from fear and adrenaline. Lucy burst through the canvas door, tripping over the tie-wire and landing hard on the damp, cold earth. She wiped her hands on her jeans; the dampness clinging to her skin, and forced herself to regain her composure. Inside the tent, Julie and James lay motionless on their bed. Horror gripped Lucy's heart as she realised they were both dead.

Her brows knitted together in frustration as she examined her surroundings, desperation driving her to figure out the night's events. She shook her head, attempting to clear the fog of confusion clouding her thoughts, and took a deep, steadying breath. Determined, she searched for any clue that could help her make sense of the nightmare before her. A sharp, sudden sound reverberated through the woods, and Lucy jumped out of the tent, ripping the canvas as she fled.