Chapter 6 - Quid pro woe

The were walking through the woods to the Tomb. Isla and Enid with Wednesday. Enid’s claws clattered. “You insisted on coming along.” Wednesday comment to Enid. “I was fine on my own with my sister.” They walked up to the Tomb. The Joseph Crackstone. “Seems like our wannabe Deep Throat is already here.”

“Ew.” Enid exclaimed. “What died?”

“Smells like childhood.” The twins replied. “Come on.”

“Second thoughts.” Enid comment to them. “Why don’t I just stay out here? You know, as a lookout.”

----------------

The twins walked inside, they looked around until they heard something. “Enid?” Then, they heard a person coughing. “Whoever you are, show yourself.” They walked further. “Try anything and you’ll lose limbs.”

Just then, a group of people appeared in front of them. “Surprise!” they laughed and began to sing. They even had a cake. “Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday, dear Wednesday, Isla, Happy birthday to you.”

The twins looked at Enid. “I should have known you were behind this. What part of ‘no party under the penalty of death’ do you not understand?” Wednesday asked, nearly snarled.

“Okay...” Isla trailed off.

“I thought my cake design was pretty inspired.” Xavier comment.

“The pink balloon was my little touch. Why don’t you make a wish?” Enid asked to the twins.

When, Isla wanted to blow the candle for and Wednesday, Wednesday called. “Wait, it’s Latin. Fire will rain… when I rise.”

“That’s not really a wish.” Enid comment.

“The first part of that was burned onto Nevermore’s lawn. It can’t be a coincidence.” Wednesday told them.

“Wait, we’re never eating that cake, are we?” Ajax asked them.

Wednesday touched text and had another vision, followed by Isla, she could see it through her sisters eyes and for some reason it’s getting worse.

---------------------

Isla opened her eyes to see Xavier was with her. He stayed with her and he had even a slice of cake and a present. “Xavier?” She asked.

“I’m here.” Xavier replied. Then, he comment. “It is getting worse. Its it?”

“Yes.” Isla nodded. “Seeing through my sisters eyes is not something that I will wish to anyone who has a twin.”

“Is there something that you can block it?” Xavier asked.

Isla looked at him. “Well if I know of something I would have done it already. But I don’t know how...”

“Okay, maybe there us something in the library.” Xavier suggested. “But for now I have cake and a present.”

Isla nodded. “Alright.” Then, she eyed the cake. “Not dangerous stuff in it?”

“Nope.” Xavier replied.

Isla grabbed the cake and ate an bite as then she grabbed the present. She opened it and it was a stuffed spider. “A stuffed spider, thank you.”

“Your welcome.” Xavier comment.

Isla smiled and placed the stuffed spider on her bedside as then she stood up and looked under the bed. She knew that her parents left her a gift. She found a dead animal kit and pulled it out. “Lovely.” Then, she walked to a table and lied it down.

Xavier looked at her. “Do your parents always give you that?”

“Yes.” Isla replied, she walked back to him. “Sometimes.”

“Right.” Xavier made a face.

-----------------

Later, the twins went to see Eugene. Wednesday was talking to him. “Goody warned me I was destined to be alone, and that I would be sorry for it.” Then, a person was clearing his/ her throat. They turned to see Kinbott. “Dr. Kinbott.”

“I haven’t seen you since our session with your family, which was… certainly one I won’t forget. How are things with them?” Kinbott asked to them.

“I sneaked away.” Isla muttered.

Wednesday looked at her. “My mother and I spent some quality time together. Got our hands dirty.”

“Gardening?” Kinbott asked.

“Grave-digging.” Wednesday replied.

“Hmm.” Kinbott hummed.

“And I managed to keep my father out of prison.” Wednesday added. “What brings you here?”

“Eugene’s moms, I’m working with them. Trauma like this leaves emotional scars on the whole family. They had to head home for a few days, so I promised I’d check in on him.” Kinbott replied to her.

“I’ll leave you to it.” The twins comment and walked to the door.

Kinbott looked at them. “Who’s Goody?”

“She’s a very distant cousin.” Wednesday replied.

“Very distant.” Isla added.

“Sounds like she doesn’t see you for who you really are.” Kinbott comment.

“She sees more than you know. I want to assure you I remain as cold and heartless as the first day we met.” Wednesday told her.

“I doubt a cold, heartless person would be sitting by her friend’s bedside feeling guilt for his condition.” Kinbott comment, gesturing Eugene.

The twins huffed. “I didn’t ask for a free session.”

“Consider it my birthday gift.” Kinbott chuckled.

----------------

Much later, Wednesday and Enid went to Isla asking her to join girls night. Isla agreed to it, what she didn’t know was Wednesday went Xavier for a drawing and he had the same one and that the Mayor was hid, which she knew that well. Now they were on their way to a car. Wednesday was first to step in it. “Jeez!” Someone exclaimed.

“Let’s go.” Wednesday comment.

“Uh… Uh…” Tyler was that as then Isla and Enid stepped in it as well. “Hi. Nice to see you too.”

“Wait, he’s our Uber driver?” Enid asked confused. She looked at Wednesday.

“Uber driver?” Tyler asked as well.

“Wednesday!” Isla called out to her sister. “Really?” Wednesday just shrugged.

“I thought we were going on a date.” Tyler comment.

“I thought this was a girls’ night out.”  Enid added.

“There’s been a change of plans.” Wednesday told them.

“What’s up with the weird matching hoodie scarf things?” Tyler asked them.

“Don’t ask. Just drive.” Wednesday replied, groaning. Not in the mood for that stuff.

-----‐-------

The car turned over and came to halt. They stepped out and walked up to a fends and stood before it. Enid looked at them. “Seriously, you wanna go in there?” Then, she added. “This place is creepy AF.”

“I know.” Wednesday comment, doesn’t care about that.

“Okay. This isn’t what I signed on for.” Tyler told them.

“Ditto.” Enid added.

“I didn’t want to celebrate my birthday by going to dinner or a surprise party.” Wednesday told them.

“I agree to that.” Isla added.

“I want to do this.” Wednesday finished.

Tyler looked at her. “Then you shoulda just said so. You didn’t have to trick us.”

“But I don’t like to be tricked either. I’m your twin!” Isla scolded her twin.

“If you want to go, you can. I’m going to go check out the garage.” Wednesday had gate hinges creaking and walked further.

Then the others followed, when they arrived by the garage, Wednesday couldn’t open it. Then, Tyler spoke up. “Let me try.” He couldn’t open it either. “This is pointless.”

“Can I try?” Enid asked a s then she opened the garage.

“Whoa.” Tyler exclaimed.

Enid shrugged. “Werewolf thing.”

------------------

When they were inside, they began looking, Wednesday grabbed a sheet and it was revealed a car.  Enid had her eyes widen. “This hit the mayor. Okay. This just took a dark turn. We need to call Tyler’s dad right freaking now.”

“Love dark turns.” Isla comment. “Not that kind of dark turns though.”

Wednesday looked at Enid. “Why? So he can take me back to Nevermore and get me expelled? It’s not gonna happen.”

Tyler sighed. “This is the night I’m gonna die.” Enid was whimpering quietly.

They walked further as then, Wednesday saw a painting. “Here they are. The Gates family. They scrub up well for psychopaths.”

“Ha!” Isla let out giggle.

“Seen enough?” Enid asked as then the twins walked further and opened a built in altar. She whimpered uncomfortably. “Who doesn’t have a spooky built-in altar in their family library?”

“Ours is in the living room.” Isla replied.

“More seating for year-long Dia de los Muertos.” Wednesday added. Then, they found a pot as she felt it. “They’re still warm.” Then she looked at Tyler. “Tyler, you check the rest of the ground floor. Enid, Isla and I will search upstairs.”

Enid looked at het. “We will?”

“Yes.” Isla replied.

------------------

Upstairs, Wednesday looked at her friend and sister. “All right, you go left, me and Isla go right.”

Enid looked at them. “You seriously want to split up? In here? That is literally how every best friend dies in a horror movie.”

“The faster we search, the sooner you can leave.” Wednesday told her.

-------------------

The sisters didn’t talk as then Enid shouted, she had found something. Wednesday looked at the bed. “The bed’s made. No dust or cobwebs…” Then, she noticed a small box with LG on it “LG? Laurel Gates. Looks like somebody moved back into their old room.”

“Hmmm.” Isla hummed.

Enid looked at them. “It’s not possible. She died 25 years ago, drowned overseas.”

Then, they heard a object shattering on the ground. “Let’s go.” Wednesday comment.

“This is officially the worst girls’ night out ever!” Enid exclaimed.

Suddenly , Tyler shouted. “Guys! Get out! It’s here!” Claws slashing was heard as then he screamed. Then they heard a guttural growl.

Just then, they rushed to the hallway. They saw a dumbwaiter, Wednesday called. “The dumbwaiter. Go!”

They rushed to the dumbwaiter, when they were there, Enid screamed. “Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God.” The creature was for them and growling. Wednesday closed the dumbwaiter and used her scarf to satay the doors put. “No, not your snood!”

“Stop.” Wednesday told her.

“Oh my God.” Enid shouted as then they were falling down. The dumbwaiter opened and they fell out. Wednesday started looking around. “What are you doing?”

“She’s looking.” Isla replied.

“These are the body parts from the monster’s victims. Come on.” Wednesday added as the creature snarled and was coming for them. They climbed out of the window, when they were out, Wednesday asked them. “You okay?”

“Since when do you care?” Enid asked back. Then, Wednesday rushed off. “Wednesday, what the hell are you thinking?”

Wednesday called. “We have to go back for Tyler!”

“Great, just great.” Isla groaned.

“The monster’s there!” Enid shouted.

Then, they rushed after her and found Tyler with a wound. Tyler breathing heavily. Wednesday held out her flashlight. “Enid, hold this.”

“That thing is still inside!” Enid shouted, but grabbed the flashlight.

Just then, Xavier appeared. “You’re hurt. Can you walk?”

Wednesday looked at him. “Where’d you come from?”

Xavier gave her his scarf. “Here. Take this.” Tyler grunted. “What happened to him?”

-------------------

Later, they were in Tyler’s house as Wednesday was tending to him. Tyler winced softly. “Thanks, Doc.”

Enid was breathing fast. “Not to make this about me, but I am having a full-blown panic attack now.”

“We need to get back before Weems realizes we’ve been gone.” Xavier added.

“I agree to that.” Isla muttered as she sat next to him.

Just then, Tyler’s father came in. “What the hell happened? This was you, wasn’t it?”

They rushed to stand up as Tyler looked at him. “Wait, Dad, please. I’m okay.”

Wednesday took a few steps forward. “Sheriff, I understand you’re upset, but I think you need to see something.”

-------------------

Isla and the others went back to the school, Isla didn’t want to be alone so she went Xavier room. She knocked on his door. He opened. “Isla?”

“Hi, sorry, but I don’t want to be alone in mine room right know.” Isla replied to him.

Xavier nodded. “Come in.”

“Thank you.” Isla walked in.