Chapter 7 - If you don't woe me by now

The past week, Isla practically stayed by Xavier, she couldn’t face her sister, she just needed time. But as of today was the funeral and she had to face her. It had terrible weather, Isla stood by Xavier as Wednesday stood in the back. The only thing she had heard form the funeral was. “God is our refuge and strength…” Then she glanced at Wednesday, she looked next to her as if she heard something and rushed after it.

Isla looked at Xavier. “Scuse me, but my sister went after someone and I’m gonna follow her.”

“Okay. Be careful though.” Xavier nodded as then Isla rushed after her sister.

--------------

Just as Isla arrived there they fighting, sword fighting. The man used electricity crackles. It was uncle Fester! “Still as sharp as ever, my pig-tailed protégé.”

“Uncle Fester.” Wednesday exclaimed just as Isla walked up to them.

“Uncle Fester.” Isla greeted him.

-------------------

They were talking as Wednesday looked at their uncle. “How long have you been stalking me?”

“Just blew into town this morning and was hit by a wave of nostalgia.” Fester replied.

Isla frowned. “I thought you didn’t go to Nevermore.”

“I didn’t.” Fester glanced at the twins. “Your dad got all the brains. But I used to drop in on him. Usually from the ceiling with a dagger clutched between my teeth. Just to keep him on his toes.”

“Of course.” Wednesday smiled.

“He filled me in on what’s been going on.” Fester told them. “Monsters, murder, mayhem. What fun! I told him I had a job in Boston, but I’d be checking up on you two.”

“What kind of job?” The twins asked on the same time.

“The kind that means I need somewhere to lay low for a couple days.” Fester replied to them.

---------------

They walked into the bee house. Wednesday told to their uncle. “This place belongs to a friend.”

“You’ve actually made a friend. That poor kid will be going home in a body bag. Oh.” He comment as then he found the bees. He chuckled. “I like a hideout that comes with snacks.”

“Those bees are hibernating. They’re practically Eugene’s children.” Wednesday told him.

“Ooh.” Fester chuckled, wanted to grab some.

The bees were buzzing. “That means do not eat them!” Isla called.

Wednesday glared at her uncle. Fester looked at her. “You know, when you give me that death stare of disapproval, you remind me of your mother. Speaking of scary things, you know what kind of monster you’re dealing with?”

Wednesday sighed. “I haven’t been able to identify it.” She gave him a drawing.

“Ooh. It’s called a Hyde.” Fester told her.

Fester gave her back the drawing. Wednesday looked at him. “As in Jekyll and Hyde?”

“Mm-hmm.” Fester hummed.

“You’ve seen one before?” Isla asked.

“Oh yeah. In ’83, during my vacay at the Zurich Institute for the Criminally Insane. Where I got my first lobotomy. But you know lobotomies. They’re like tattoos. Can’t just get one.” Fester replied.

“Tell me about the Hyde.” Wednesday basically ordered.

Fester looked at her. “Ah. Olga Malacova. Jeez. She had it all. Beauty, brains, and a penchant for necrophilia.” He chuckled, clapping. “Olga was a concert pianist, until one night she transformed in the middle of a Chopin sonata. Massacred a dozen audience members. And three music critics.”

“What triggered her? Or did she just change on her own?” Wednesday asked.

Fester shrugged. “No idea. I only saw her in group electroshock therapy.”

“There’s never been any mention of Hydes in any outcast book. And Nevermore is reputed for having the best collection.” The twins said on the same time.

“You try Nathaniel Faulkner’s diary Mmm! Before he founded Nevermore, Faulkner travelled the world, cataloging every outcast community.” Fester told them.

Wednesday looked at him. “How do you know this?”

“You think your parents can’t keep their hands off each other now, oy vey. I showed up unannounced one night in Gomez’s dorm room. Let’s just say I wasn’t interrupting a pillow fight.” Fester replied, he began laughing.

“Uncle Fester.” Wednesday called.

Fester stopped laughing. “Yeah.”

“The diary, where is it?” Wednesday asked.

“Nightshades Library. Your dad parked me there and said I should settle in for a long stretch. And that’s when I found this nifty little safe. I was hoping for a stash of cash or jewels but instead I found a diary.” Fester replied.

“We’ll sneak into the Nightshades Library tonight. In the meantime, lay low. If you are discovered, I will disown you and collect the reward tied to your capture.” Wednesday told him.

“I’d expect nothing less.” Fester comment.

Then they twins leave, but they suspected Fester would grab the bees. “Leave the bees alone.” They called, Fester was simpering chuckling.

-----------------

Isla didn’t want to get into trouble, not more, when it comes to her twins sister, unlike her, she really likes the school and feels like she belong to somewhere! So she waited until the next day and went to meet up with her and uncle Fester. Wednesday being herself, she glanced at her sister, but was quickly buried into the book they had found. “Kinbott has to be Xavier’s master.” Wednesday spoke up, Isla didn’t like the idea!

Fester found the ketjap. “Hmm.”

“The Hyde lays dormant until unleashed by a traumatic event or unlocked through chemical inducement or hypnosis.” Wednesday read out loud.

“Mmm!” Fester was slurping.

Wednesday glared at him. “Are you listening? She must’ve figured out he’s a Hyde and used hypnotherapy to unlock him. That would explain their secret sessions.” Isla rolled with her eyes.

“I think the kid behind the counter has clocked me.” Fester told them, seeing Tyler going their way. “Yeah. He’s walking over. I’m gonna put him in a Romanian sleeper hold. Cover me.”

Wednesday shrugged. “Relax. He’s not interested in you.”

“Uh, made you a quad. On the house.” Tyler told to Wednesday.

“Hey, thanks kid.” Fester chuckles, then he held up the ketjap. “Need a refill on this puppy too.”

Tyler blinked. “Uh…”

“Tyler.” Isla told him. “This is our Uncle Fester.”

“Oh. Uh… Hi, it’s nice to…” Tyler held put his hand, fester grabbed him, but zapped. Tyler yelped. Fester snickered as the twins smirked. Then, Tyler noticed the book. “Is that…”

“It’s called a Hyde.” Wednesday told him.

Tyler sat next to her. “Whoa, that’s it. From that night.”

Wednesday glanced at him. “Your father gave you explicit instructions not to be near me.”

“Yeah, my dad’s not here, and I’m on a break.” Tyler told her.

“Well, apparently a Hyde needs to be unlocked by someone. Its master.” Wednesday explained.

“Holy shit.” Tyler exclaimed.

Just then, Galpin walked to them, Fester disappeared. “Tyler What’d I say?”

Tyler stood up. “Uh… For the record, Wednesday was trying to keep her distance. I was the one that sat down with her.”

“You don’t say.” Isla muttered.

“All right.” Galpin gave Tyler posters. “Putting these up around town. It’s a bank robbery suspect, and he’s a real creep. You haven’t seen him, have you?”

“No.” The twins replied.

“Yeah, he’d be pretty hard to miss. I’ll pin it on the bulletin board.” Tyler added.

“Ah, why waste my breath?” Galpin sighed and walked away.

Isla looked at them. “And that’s my sue to go.” Then, she looked at Wednesday. “I don’t like it when you say that kind of things about Xavier!” Then, she walked out of there as well.

--------------

Much later, Isla heard that Xavier was arrested and went to Wednesday’s room, but she could find her, so she went to Enid and Joko, she only found Enid. “Hey, Enid.”

“Isla?” Enid asked, confused. “I... I... didn’t expect you.”

“Yeah, sorry.” Isla signed. “’Xavier’s arrested and I was thinking if I could stay here for the night. I don’t want be alone.”

“Oh, you poor thing, of course yup can stay here.” Enid told her.

Isla stepping inside of the room. “Thank you.”

“Your welcome.” Enid jumped towards her. “Do you need a hug?”

“I don’t do hugs.” Isla replied, looking around.

“Oh.” Enid, then remembered that she’s somewhat like Wednesday.