eight

"Armin?" 

A call of his name brought his attention from the book to the caller. "Oh, you're awake," he smiled brightly. 

"Wh-What happened-" Her words were cut off by a series of coughs that escaped her throat. 

Erika's head was buzzing loudly, her eyes troubled by the brightness from the window as if she wasn't adjusted to it. She tried to sit up, realizing her lying position but her body felt sore, causing her to let out a slight groan. 

"You were kinda caught in the crossfire during the Raid on Stohess," he explained, looking down with guilt. "You got hurt in the process." 

"Oh," she uttered. 

Again, she tried to sit upwards but was pulled back down by her weak body. 

"You shouldn't move, Erika," Armin quickly went by her side to assist her as she returned to her previous position. 

Slowly, the memories of the attack returned to Erika's mind. She glanced her head to the side of her body, specifically her arm. The long scar across her arm appeared visible to her eyes. It was the effect of Annie's attempt to dispose of her but she was pushed away. Erika let out a loud sigh, using her left finger to trace her scar. 

"It hurts," she whispered, barely caught by Armin. 

"I'm sorry," he mumbled lowly, eyes gazing at the ground apologetically. 

"Why?" 

"I wasn't there to protect you," he breathed out, fists forming by his sides as he fought his urges to cry. 

To his surprise, Erika let out a slight chuckle. "It's not your job to protect me, Armin," she smiled. "Thank you for saving me-"

"Oh, you're up!" Suddenly a familiar voice entered the room. 

Armin and Erika brought their heads to the direction of the door, vision met by Jean and some of their friends who had a bouquet of flowers in their arms. 

"Just did," Erika weakly let out, her lips tingling in a smile. 

"These are for you," Jean gestured to the flowers, placing them nearby. "How are you?" 

"Tired," she giggled slightly. "Thank you so much, guys."

The day passed by easily as it started. Erika was still stuck on bedrest despite her objections. Matters turned worse when the doctor informed her that she was not to join any upcoming battles for quite some time until her hand properly heals due to the internal damage. When the girl displayed further objection, Hange only laughed at her side. 

"Don't worry Erika. You have some company," they giggled, gently nudging Erika's side. Upon seeing the young girl's puzzled look, Hange added, "Levi's injured, too. There's not much he can do for now." 

Erika's cheeks flushed, blood rushing to her complexion. "I don't know what you mean," she mumbled silently. 

"Sure," the older soldier giggled.

Erwin and Hange soon left the room, having an important meeting with the higher-ups. Erika's gaze from the door shifted to the boy who sat by her side. It was safe to say that surprise overtook her when she saw the look on Armin's usually calm face. He looked somewhat... Annoyed...

He himself wasn't aware of what the girl was viewing. He was too busy trying to sort out his thoughts as well as his feelings. Specifically, that nauseating gut feeling inside of him. It was foreign, absolutely alien. 

This feeling resurfaced at the moment as he saw the blushed look on Erika's complexion at the mention of Captain Levi. He didn't understand why. But he didn't seem to like it, it seems...