nine

A few days had passed since Erika woke up but the doctor insisted that she stay on bed rest for one more day. Truth be told, it was getting lonely in the room. Erwin had his matters to tend to. After all, his responsibilities as Commander couldn't be ignored just because his cousin was injured. 

Every now and then, someone would come to her room to bring her food and assist her around. But none really stayed that long. Neither Jean nor Armin had returned for a visit since that night. Their words had left the girl confused, questioning her reality. Nothing made sense. 

She tried searching for an answer to all her questions but her mind was too tired to muster up any answer. Despite her tries and failures, the situation never managed to leave her as she lay on the bed in her almost always empty room. She was more than thankful when the door opened to reveal Mikasa entering her room. 

"Mikasa," Erika greeted excitedly with a smile. 

"How are you? I'm sorry I haven't visited in a while. We've been a little busy," she explained briefly, taking a seat beside the bed. 

"I'm fine," the brunette replied, a slight croak in her voice. 

Being the observer that she was, Mikasa could sense the change in the aura of the girl beside her. Mikasa's dark eyes turned to Erika, noticing the glint of trouble paired with Erika's downturned lips. 

"Is something troubling you, Erika?" Mikasa asked softly.

 Being asked something so true to her emotions made Erika widen her eyes in shock before eletting out a deep sigh. "Actually yeah," she mumbled lowly. 

"Oh, what happened?" 

Erika then proceeded to tell Mikasa of what had happened between her and Armin. "And afterwards, something even weirder- Well, more like annoying," she rolled her eyes. "Happened with Jean." Erika continued to reminisce the past, letting out her words to the ear-lending Mikasa. "And I guess I'm just kinda confused. Like, I don't really get why Armin would be angry," Erika sighed exasperatedly. "And even if, EVEN IF, I had a crush on the Captain, which I don't!" She denied. "Why would Armin be upset about it?" 

"I see," Mikasa hummed. "Maybe he's just jealous," she shrugged nonchalantly, her words casual. 

"Huh?! Jealous?" Erika gasped, clearly dumbfounded by the former girl's theory. "I mean like, wh-why would- um, why- like jealous? Why?" She stammered, almost not understanding the meaning of the situation despite the red tainting her cheeks. 

"Because you know, he-" Mikasa's words abruptly stopped upon realizing the situation. "Uh, you know what? Never mind," she dismissed it just as quickly. "Maybe he was just having a bad day or something. You should ask him about it." 

"Well, I would, but, he hasn't seen me since that day," Erika licked her lips, eyes displaying sadness. 

Silence loomed over the girls for a minute before Mikasa broke a question. "Can I ask you something?" 

"Yeah?" Erika responded. 

"What do you think about Armin?" Erika quivered, trying to find words to answer which all ended up sounding like a bunch of gibberish, except proof to Mikasa of how Erika was feeling. "Erika, you can talk to me," Mikasa gently cooed, placing a hand atop Erika's. 

"Well, I guess, Armin... He's a good friend," Erika sighed. "He's always kind and always there for you. I like that about him. And I think he's a really cool person, in general. He's sweet. And smart. And his eyes. I really like his eyes. Especially when he's focused. Or when he's talking about the outside world, about a future he wishes for... Truth be told, I've never actually cared about all those things. I've always just survived. I didn't care enough to live, to look forward to something... But Armin... He inspires me. He makes me realize that I want to see the world, too. I want to learn more about it. I want to experience new things. And I want to do it with him. And Armin... I look at him and I see hope for the future. I can't help but want to protect it. I want to protect him. Armin... He's Armin. And... I love Armin."