Chapter 2

When the little one returns with an elf of about a hundred cycles, she introduces her as Anna and says this is the hardest worker she knows. Looking her over, a layer of soot offers little to hide the maiden's appeal, and Charlie admits his father just might go for it if she does not mind his sexual advances.
     Anna scoffs, "There exists worse out there than your old dodger."
     "You should be able to find him in the pub, but you might catch him at the house if you hurry," he offers.
     Making their way around the post, they come to the main entrance of the shopkeeper's home. Sure enough, no sooner than go to knock the door opens, finding a very confused elf. While they make introductions, they notice he smells more like he just returned from his stay at the mead house, not getting ready to head there.
     He scans each one until his eyes land on Serena. When asked what he thinks of Anna as he sees them in, he calls her a pretty little thing returning his gaze to the priestess. He becomes so enamored with her that he nearly misses their purpose.
     Hearing his son's name snaps him from his stupor. When he learns they mean to replace his son with the older maid, he thinks to capitalize on his good fortune. The drunkard tells them Charlie stays right where he is. "It's the only thing that boy is good for," he spits under his breath. As he predicted, the sisters refuse to give up that easily. He knows how much Charlie would prove useful in the field, even if he holds no intention of allowing it.
    Sara, enthralled by the idea of actually training someone herself, takes the diplomatic approach, promising to give the post first choice of whatever they bring home from their hunts. When Mother Ashwood expresses how their son becoming a hunter carries the potential to grow the business, he gives her a pointed look. "If these maids want him that badly, what harm could it bring?" she surmises. The old drunk scowls at her.
     Serena, feeling sick from the smell of him, and fed up with his fool antics, steps in front of the foul elf, making him take his side eye and look directly at her. He smiles as he slowly looks up from the floor to her chest. "What would convince you," she asks in a business-like manner.
     "You for a start." Sitting back, hands laced behind his head, he starts licking his lips.
     "I tell you what," she starts sweetly, noticing the disgusting bulge in his pants, "either you accept our offer, or, we leave and take him anyway."
     The shopkeep sits straight in his chair with a jolt. Upset that these maids think themselves too good for his charm, he positions his face inches from the priestess. "What makes you think you can do that?" he bellows.
     Serena tries desperately not to vomit while keeping her composure as she addresses him. "He is eighteen and can leave whenever he likes," she states in a manner unbecoming of her order.
     The bark makes him even angrier as he stands to face her. At five-nine, he towers over the maid. "What makes you think he will go with you?" he growls, thinking himself intimidating.
     Serena smirks as she looks around at her sisters. "Three beautiful maids just asked him to live with them. What makes you think he won't?"
     Mother Ashwood snickers as her husband's face gets red with rage. "Leave!" He tells them, his arm outstretched and pointing to the door. As they start to head towards the door he hollers after them. "Don't forget our deal!"
     Sybil tells Charlie to start packing no sooner than they walk back into the shop. He stands there in shock until his mother arrives to see the new employee settled. She laughs to watch him run to the house, and the girls join her after he picks himself off the ground.
     With his father already left without so much as a goodbye to exist between them, he hurries about, gathering his possessions. The sisters say farewell to the kind mother and return to the market to allow him a chance to pack before they head home.
    The vendor Serena talked with earlier flags them over to show his wares. The booth offers skins of rabbit and squirrel like most others here at the market, along with fox, beaver, and deer, but his boast of something called mink catches their attention. Bringing out a blanket they revel in its softness, and once it wraps around them, the sisters find it incredibly warm.
     With everyone taken in by the material, Serena stands the voice of reason pointing out how traveling with its weight would be a burden. "That's what we got a porter for," Sybil pipes.
     "I think his strength should remain for bounties," the priestess stresses. Sybil pouts as they bid farewell and continue on.
     At the woodcarver's booth, a wooden top and a marble maze bring children scurrying from all around the marketplace to see his demonstration. In light of the celebration, he hands out a small top to each child, saying, "Next moon I come through, you can show me how you make it spin. The longest topspin wins the maze," he tells them.
     The girls laugh to think back to when they participated in the contest. The competition between them brought so much heat, they did not speak to each other for two phases, even refusing to eat at the table together. Master was never more relieved when the vendor returned to judge the contest. In the end, a boy from the village won the maze, and they learned their first lesson in teamwork.
      Among the toys and figures they find a wooden box holding a puzzle, a rearing horse craved from pine, a birch solider dressed in armor, and a maid of elder with a basket of flowers. Seeing a group of small wooden birds, Sara nudges Serena and motions to them. The priestess nods and gets the carver's attention.
      Sybil rounds up the children as Serena hands him the money for a special bird carved from ash. Getting everyone's attention, she raises a finger circling it in front of the figurine. Bringing it to her ear, she nods. Upon whistling encouragement, it perches on her hand.
     A gasp from her audience sees the little wooden bird begin to sing and hop up her arm. The priestess makes it turn around, open its wings, and fan out its tail. Satisfied, she puts her finger to her lips, looking out at the crowd.
     Putting a seed in her mouth, Serena offers the wooden creation to take it. No sooner the bird swallows her offering than he turns into a beautiful swallow. The children become elated and scramble to get a little wooden bird of their own.
     Thinking the show should own enough of the sun, the sisters start back to find Charlie waiting for them outside the post with a small pack. Saying goodbye to his mother, he lifts a bed mat*, like a server with a tray, and they start off to their place.