Chapter 9

As they walk through the village, Charlie notices the attention she brings from those who see her. Many hand the priestess flowers and small stones etched with runes; most of which she passes off to the next child along the way, all the while telling him to keep up.
However, being close to her, he finds he gets noticed too. Yet, unlike the praise and gifts she receives, he meets with hard stares. It seems no one particularly enjoys the idea of someone like him walking around with someone like her.
He maybe used to living with others' contempt for his appearance, but this seems shameful. He tries to stay back, despite Serena's insistence on keeping him next to her, falling behind to what feels like a safe distance.
Halfway through the village, a crone walks up, and without warning, spits on him. "Can you just tell me where we are going so I can meet you there," he calls out in frustration.
A tree vine grows up behind the old grandmother staring him down and leaves a welt. "Keep walking, you old bat," Serena calls as she makes her way to him. "How are you going to hunt with me if being seen with me makes you cower?"
He looks down at her, "Did you have to slap her?"
Taking a handkerchief from her pocket, she reaches up to wipe the spit from his face. "She is lucky I did not break her neck. Stay close, and they will do no more than look." Taking his hand, she leads him through the rest of the village.
When they reach the tree, the same crooked elf appears in front of them. "Charlie," he squeaks, surprised to see the boy who usually comes by with the books he orders. "I see why this is of great importance. How is it you came to know of his affliction?" Serena tells the master how they plan to train him, and that his living with them informed her of his need.
As he listens, the older elf watches the boy, who becomes even more uneasy under the master's gaze. The incident with the ice chest holds the scholar intrigued.
While she tells the story, another comes down the path opposite. "Charlie, what brings you here," he chimes.
Master Magick looks up, "Lomri, good, you are here. This young elf requires your talents." Master Lomri looks at Charlie. Besides Charlie and his mother, Master Lomri exists the only one in the village with red hair. His, however, mixes with blonde. Most take to his boyish features and playful nature seeing him well-liked.
The first crone he entered the shop, Charlie could only stare. Calling him out for it, he apologized. Voicing how he wished his looked more like that, Charlie said it might make him a little less awkward. His words hit the master hard, and Lomri assured him it could not be that bad.
Seeing this idea have little effect on the boy's mood, he went on to say, Charlie's hair reminded him of a kit, whose first coat just came in, and like them, he bet him just as lively. Lomri finds it good to see him discovering his way in the world of elves and shows an eagerness to help in any way he can.
They walk in silence until they come to a tree in the shape of a bench. Master Lomri sits down, motioning for Charlie to sit beside him. "Beautiful is it not," the master says, breaking the lull. It is more of a statement than a question, but it brings Charlie to look out to the forest. "And deadly. She is right, wandering into the wood is dangerous indeed, and what is this about an ice chest?"

*sunset - A common word used for the turns just before, until after the sun sets. Similar in use and meaning to the English word for evening.

*fairy flowers - Key ingredients for many potions. Different colored blooms have unique effects. ^see fairy flower colors for a complete list of uses

*crone's breath - used here to mean slowly. The phrase is the same as 'taking her time'