Ch. 10 - Help?

Cale Henituse ducked behind a tree and held his breath.

-Cale, is there anything you can use to identify where you are?!

The communication device in his hands was frantic with the voice of the crown prince.

Cale shook his head.

He was in pain.

His red hair was tangled and unkempt.

His arms trembled from the weight of an almost unconscious baby dragon.

Raon's tired eyes could barely stay open enough to channel magic into the communication device.

"Henituse, I know you're here. I can smell you. No point in delaying things. Say goodbye to your dragon and quit wasting my time already."

An emotionless voice full of excitement continued to taunt and threaten Cale Henituse and the young dragon.

Cale's careful hold on the black dragon brought him closer towards his chest.

-Cale, just hang in there a few more minutes, we should have your coordinates soon. Ah, damn it! 

Bud Illis, the mercenary king, was beside the crown prince in what looked to be a military planning room. 

None of their other allies were present due to unforeseen circumstances.

-To think that bastard was aiming to separate you from the others all along..!

The cracking of branches suddenly stopped.

Cale stilled, hugging Raon protectively in his shaking arms.

-Human.. leave me and run. I'm sorry, if I wasn't so careless we wouldn't be here.

Cale blinked slowly, patting Raon's back in an unsteady motion.

'Just a few more minutes until help arrives. I can last until then.'

Cale ignored the overwhelming smell of his own blood and the sticky feeling on his side. 

He looked at the injured baby dragon slumped in his arms.

'Just a few more-'

-CALE!

"Found you."

-------

"Gasp!"

Cale awoke from his sleep drenched in sweat.

His eyes darted around the room as his expression settled back into calmness.

'A nightmare?'

As much as he wanted to call it a nightmare, Cale felt something was off.

'My record ability should prevent any nightmares. Usually it only plays me back memories. That was too vivid to be something I fabricated."

His eyebrows furrowed in thought, but before he could think more on the subject a knock was heard on his door.

"You may enter."

"Oh, you're awake? It's a shame, the countess just left to take care of territory affairs."

Deputy Butler Hans came in with a tray.

He set down the tray of food with a cloth in what looked like a bowl of water.

"My mother was here?"

"Yes, young master. She has been with you for the past 6 hours or so. I'm pleasantly surprised you've woken up! Usually it takes you a couple of days-"