Constant Change

Roy:

I'm surprised Jade actually decided to get serious with me. I'm glad, but now her parents are a big problem. It's a little nerve racking knowing we're gonna go over there. Jade doesn't act nervous, but then again, she's hard to read sometimes.

"You ready?" Roy asks, putting his shoes on.
"Yep. You?"
"Are you sure we should go right now, Jade? I did promise your mom I'd have you home by ten. It's four o'clock."
"So what if we got a little distracted while getting ready. It's not my fault you're so tempting." Jade puts her hands around Roy's neck.
"Likewise."
"Is someone nervous?" Jade smirks.
"No. I just don't like this."
"Don't worry. My parents act like they care, but they don't. All they want is for me to follow them into the family business to make them look good. And if someone or something gets in the way, they get angry."
"Right, well then. I guess we should go."

(Eventually Roy and Jade arrive at the Crock's apartment.)

"Do you have a key?"
"Yes."
"Great."
"Follow me." Jade walks towards her bedroom.
"Where do you think you're going, young lady?" Paula steps in front of Jade with her arms crossed.
"Hey mom."
"Don't hey me. Roy! You told me you'd have her back by ten! Don't you know how to read a clock?!"
"I do. But your daughter is so irresistible." Roy leans over, gently kissing Jade's neck while looking up at Paula.
"Jade? Are you messing around with this boy? I want an honest answer."
"Sigh...yes." Jade turns her head, looking away.
"What's wrong? Ashamed?"
"She's not ashamed, she's embarrassed! You do nothing but control her! You and Lawrence!" Roy blurts, getting in front of Jade while glaring at Paula.
"I love my daughter. I only want what's best for her."
"You want her to be an assassin. Tell me. How's that what's best?"
"Jade, look at me. I want you to tell me what it is you want. Do you want to go live with your boyfriend who only knows how to do one thing or stay here and become a successful assassin? It's your choice, but you better make it now."
"I'm getting my stuff and then I'm leaving. If I want to be an assassin, I'll become one on my own." Jade says before walking past Paula.
"You're gonna ruin her."
"You know, Paula. You're probably right."
"Then why? Why if you care about her?"
"It's better than what'll happen if she stays here."
"Roy, please. Don't break her heart." Paula says with tears in her eyes as Roy silently walks away.
"Hey, need help?" Roy walks in.
"No. Just about done."
"You sure you want to come with me?"
"Yes. Why? You getting second thoughts?"
"I just want you to be sure."
"Then let's go." Jade grabs her bag.

(After leaving the apartment, Roy drives Jade back to his place.)

"Here. Let me help you unpack." Roy unzips the bag, handing Jade clothes.
"Thanks. Roy?"
"Yeah?"
"What did my mom say to you after I left?"
"Just that I'm gonna ruin you."
"Do you feel that way?"
"Jade, all I know is that I care about you. Am I gonna purposefully destroy you? No. But I can't promise you a great life. This is as exciting as it'll get."
"Maybe. But I always have ways to spice things up." Jade starts rubbing Roy's waist.
"I look forward to it. But Jade, I hope you know that I'm not gonna marry you."
"Why not? I mean, someday it would be nice, right?"
"I'm just not that kind of guy. I'm Red Arrow."
"Red Arrow?"
"Yeah. I changed my name."
"Ok. Whatever. But what about us? Are you saying your fun life is more important?"
"No. I just don't want to get married. And I definitely don't do kids."
"What?"
"Maybe when I'm like forty. You know, after the party life is over."
"Party life? Are you kidding me?"
"What? You want kids?"
"Someday it would be nice."
"Forget it, Jade. We're both way too intense for kids."
"You really feel that way, don't you?"
"I wouldn't lie about that."
"Sigh...I'm gonna change for bed."
"Okay. Hey, put that light pink nightdress on."
"Fine." Jade angrily walks away.

(The next morning.)

"Knock, knock."
"Uggghh! Who's here at this time?" Roy groans as he gets up.
"Don't take the blankets with you." Jade grumbles.
"Here." Roy tosses them over her.
"Agggh."
"What?" Roy opens the door, just wearing his boxers.
"Hey Roy! Party tomorrow night! Just thought I'd come and let you know." Richard exclaims.
"Woah, woah. Calm down, dude. I just woke up."
"Sorry. So, you gonna come?"
"Of course. Hey what's goin' on for missions?"
"The usual. But Bat's did say with New Year's coming up, we might get some more action."
"That's just great." Roy rolls his eyes.
"Who is it?" Jade walks up, covering herself in a red, silky robe.
"What the?! Since when have you two been..?" Richard grins.
"Since we decided. Are you finished yet?" Roy interrupts while putting his arm around Jade.
"Oh! Sorry. Yeah, just wanted to let you know. It's at Kori's place."
"What's at Kori's place?" Jade raises a brow.
"A party. Tonight at twelve." Roy replies.
"Mm...was I gonna be invited?" Jade glares at Roy.
"I just found out. But yes, If you want to go."
"I do."
"Great. Goodbye Dick." Roy closes the door on him.
"So were you even gonna tell me?"
"If you gave me a chance, I would've."
"Promise?"
"Jade, why are you acting like this? Even last night, you seem so uninterested."
"I just don't like the idea that you're never gonna want to do anything more than this. Live together and party away, but never marry or have kids."
"Jade, I don't know. I might change my mind someday, but right now, I don't want to. Sorry you don't like that."
"It's you're attitude too. Ever since I decided to move in, you act like you don't care."
"I tried to show you I do last night."
"I mean more than that. You seem frustrated."
"Sigh....Jade. Things just escalated really fast. I didn't expect all this. I guess I'm just a bit stressed."
"Why?"
"I don't make a lot of money. I don't know how I'm gonna pay for the both of us."
"Roy, you know I can work or something."
"That or something is what concerns me. Are you gonna go out and kill people like your parents?"
"No. Why do you even care?"
"Because I stop people who do that. I don't need my girlfriend in on it too."
"I haven't in a long time! So don't worry about it!"
"Don't yell!"
"Why not?! You are!"
"Because the neighbors will call on us!"
"Who cares!" Jade continues, tears beginning to form.
"Jade. Stop. Just stop it." Roy grabs Jade's arms, holding her tightly.
"Let go. I need to eat." Jade wiggles herself out of his grip.

(A couple minutes later.)

"Hey...baby, I don't want to fight." Roy puts his arms around Jade's waist as she's cooking an egg.
"Sigh...fine." Jade turns around and hugs him.
"Your my girl, Jade. Don't forget that."
"I know."