Eventful Night

It was a chilly night in the town of Woodsboro. A black sedan pulls into the driveway of a medium -sized suburban house. The door swings open and out steps Y/N L/N, a 18 year old teenager. He walks up to the front door of his home and pulls out his key, unlocking the door and walking in.

Y/N lives with his adoptive parents. He was put up for his adoption the day he was born. His parents revealed the truth on his 16th birthday, but he ultimately did not care as he loved them and did not mind considering them his actual parents.

Y/N puts away his shoes and jacket as he walks to the kitchen. He stayed at the gym late in order to get some shots up after practice. Y/N was a solid basketball player and was planning on making a push to make it to a div. 1 college. He also used the time to keep his mind off a certain someone.

That someone was Tara Carpenter. She and Y/N have been friends since early childhood. They met when Sam, Tara's sister, used to babysit him when he was little. Y/N had grown feelings for her over time but he never wanted to ruin the friendship they built. This year was going to be the year Y/N was finally going to make a move. That was until Tara hooked up with Wes. Once that happened Y/N became depressed, deciding to focus a majority of his time on his basketball career. 

He and Tara still talked but it became very hard for him to be around the two. Eventually Tara and Wes split. Y/N being the shoulder to cry on for Tara. He once again had a shot to take but felt the timing was off and that he would wait until she got over Wes. That plan was going great until Amber came into the picture. She and Tara became very close, eventually getting together themselves. Amber was very controlling, ultimately leading to you and Taras communication becoming more and more infrequent. So once again Y/N is back on the grind.

Y/N walks into his kitchen, and checks the fridge for any leftovers from the family dinner he missed. And as usual his mother had left a container of leftovers in the fridge. Y/N pulls out the food and starts to chow down. Suddenly he gets a text on his phone from Chad, his best friend.

"Yo you need to hop on playstation, i've been waiting all night for you man"

Y/N forgot that he said he was going to play tonight. You and Chad become best friends in high school. Both of you started out as multi-sport students but then over the years you both focused on your respective sports. But your friendship never wavered and you two would typically play videogames with each other at night. Y/N replies to the text.

"Ah shit sorry bro, be on in 5"

"I'll hold you on that one, if it takes more than five i'm gonna confess your feelings to Tara personally"

"Bro chill, i'll be on soon, smh"

Chad likes to make fun of Y/N's inability to confess his feelings but he is always supportive of him as he truly believes they will get together one day. Y/N puts down his phone and quickly downs the rest of his food. He walks up to the second floor of his home, entering his room and turning on his playstation 5. Almost immediately he receives an invite. Y/N puts on his headset and joins the game. Chad greets him

"Wow Y/N L/N is a man of his word? I've been blessed"

"Of course I am, besides I cant let that info get out bro"

"I might do it anyway since you are such a pussy"

"Maaan, keep it up and i will go to bed"

"Alright bro chill, lets run it up"

After playing a few matches Y/N decides to take a shower. He had to promise Chad that he would get back on afterward so Y/N decided to make this shower a quick one. While in the shower, Y/N gets a notification on his phone.

"Jesus Chad its only been like 5 mins"

Y/N ignores the text and continues his shower. That is until his phone goes off again. Y/N sighs and decides to check his phone because it is rare that somebody double texts him. He looks to see who it was and notices it was from Tara. He quickly reads the texts:

"Y/N can you please come over, some creep is trying to scare me"

That was the first text, but then Y/Ns eyes widen when he reads the next one

"Y/N PLS HURRY"

Y/N realizes Tara might be in danger so he puts on his clothes and bolts downstairs. He grabs his keys and gets into his sedan. He makes his way towards Tara's house. Her house was only 5 mins away so Y/N got there quickly. He arrives at her house but his heart sinks as he sees an ambulance and multiple police cars in front of the house. He pulls over and runs up to the house but an officer stops him.

"Sir i'm going to need you to stay outside of the peri-"

Y/N pushes the officer aside once he sees someone being stretchered out

Y/N whispers to himself

"Please, please, please, be ok, be ok"

As he gets closer he recognizes Tara, clothes soaked in blood. Y/N eyes start to tear up, seeing the woman he secretly loved in this state.

"Tara! I'm so sorry I wasn't here sooner... I'm sorry.. I'm so so-"

Tara weakly groans

"Y-Y/N?"

"Yes Tara im here, i'm here and you are going to be okay, alright? Just stay awake"

Tara reaches her hand out and Y/N grabs it holding it tight all the way to the ambulance. Tara gets loaded up and Y/N says his goodbye and bolts to his car. He starts it and immediately follows the ambulance to the hospital.

Y/N paces back in forth down the hospital hallway, waiting to hear the results of the operation Tara was undergoing. Y/N took the time to let his friend group know about what happened (Chad, Mindy, Wes, Amber). As he sent out the message he noticed the doctor walk into the hallway. He quits pacing and tries to mentally prepare himself for the news. The doctor walks up to him and speaks

"Mr. L/N?"

"Yes thats me"

"Okay well i have good news, the operation was a success, the killer managed to miss all of the major organs"

Y/N feels a wave of relief wash over him

"Thank god, can i see her"

"She needs rest right now, I am sure she will notify you as soon as she awakes"

"Okay understandable"

The doctor walks off leaving Y/N by himself. He was finally able to breathe a little. The guilt began to eat him alive as he thought about how he could have been there sooner. He couldn't believe he wasn't there to protect her. He leaves the hospital deciding to get some rest so she can see Tara when she wakes up. The drive home was silent, the same thoughts flooding his brain.

You couldn't protect her

She almost died

It's your fault

Y/N pulls into his driveway and quickly enters his house. He heads straight upstairs and flops onto his bed. It was super late at night and he still had school tomorrow. It takes a while but he finally falls asleep.