Chapter 59

Jennie

I don't think there was a time in my life that I was truly shocked.

When my aunt died of cancer, it was inevitable. I knew that it was coming eventually, and when she finally passed on, I felt relief because that meant her sufferings had ended.

Nichkhun declaring me as co-chairperson of Manoban Enterprise totally had my jaw on the floor.

It was the last thing that I had expected to hear when I'd entered the room filled with the other board members. Their eyes bore into me like a group of vultures ready to tear apart their prey. I don't think that I had ever felt this intimidated in my entire life.

I remember feeling the blood drain away from my face as the unexpected news had befallen me. Despite my shock and worries, I'd thanked everyone who had congratulated and welcomed me on the board.

Nichkhun told them that in case of his absence, I was the one who could make decisions and sign documents as the new co-chairperson in his place. The meeting started after the brief introductions, and when it was over an hour later, I pulled Nichkhun out of the room to have a private chat.

"I do not have the qualifications to become a co-chairperson of a multi-billion-dollar conglomerate! Are you mad?" I had told him.

He smirked and pulled out a file from a briefcase that he handed to me.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Read."

I opened the file and my eyes popped out. "I'm not... I'm not..."

"Yes, you are. A Harvard double graduate in Business Management."

"These are fake certificates!" I silently screamed, while controlling myself before I flew into a rage. This asshole was up to something. "I'm going to tell everyone the truth!"

"And who will believe you?"

"What do you want from me, Nichkhun!? Why are you doing this?"

He smiled sweetly, as if he hadn't just fed a bunch of lies to his employees. "I just need your co-operation, Jen." He slung his arm around my shoulder and laughed animatedly. To the onlookers, it seemed like I had an amazing relationship with my brother-in-law. Close to my ear, he whispered, "I used to be co-chairman but since Lisa hasn't been in the right state of mind to make important decisions, I had to assume the role of Chairman and CEO. The board needed someone to fill my former place."

"What about Sorn?"

He shrugged. "Sorn isn't exactly interested in the family business."

Right. She was more interested in fucking the family male servants.

"But it doesn't have to be me!" I said.

He pointed towards the pantry across from us. A man who was probably in his mid-thirties stood on the other side of the transparent glass wall, dressed in a navy suit, making coffee.

"That's Eric Nam." Nichkhun told me.

I'd met Eric briefly during the board meeting, and it had appeared as if he'd been sizing me up. I wasn't sure why he'd been friendly enough that I had paid very little attention.

"If it's not you who will take over the place, he will." Nichkhun told me. "Eric's got all the qualifications needed and if Lisa was on board, I'm sure Eric would be her choice."

"So give Eric the position!"

Nichkhun clicked his tongue. "I want it to stay within the family. An outsider can't make decisions for us, the Manobans. And why should we let them have all the fun?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. There were a lot of things that Nichkhun was hiding. He wouldn't take such a huge step without having an ulterior motive.

The co-chairperson title was just for show.

I was a puppet, and Nichkhun the puppeteer.