Misfortune

Airplane engines could be heard and the rain puncturing the tall windows didn't help.

The two boys stood in the middle of the airport. One with much luggage and one with none at all.

"Jun," Tomoe looked up at the boy who taught him everything. "Did you ever really like me?" His teary eyes shined, looking for affirmation.

Sazanami looked back with endearing eyes, "Would you miss me more if I said yes?"

Hiyori snorted, wiping his nose to prevent any boogers from falling, ". .Probably." He averted his eyes.

"Then, I'll let you think I never loved you." Jun struggled to say.

'Loved'

Hiyori quickly looked back at him, both their eyes teary and messy. "Jeez," Hiyori laughed, maybe slightly forced, "People pleaser."

Jun snorted, cradling Hiyori's face and giving it a soft kiss on the forehead. "I'll call you when I get there." He backed away.

"Don't!" Tomoe mocked, waving bye with a frown on his face.

"I will!~" Jun turned around, a final goodbye.

Hiyori didn't want to turn around. He wanted to keep watching, though he knew he couldn't.

Turning around meant leaving him behind. Turning around meant walking back into the control of his parents. That new arranged marriage. .

His phone rang. 

'Tomiju'

Hiyori took a slow step back and turned around towards the exit.

"Hi, Tomi." He answered.

"Yes, yes," He laughed, shutting his eyes so no tears would slip. "I'm on the way. ." The airport doors opened automatically, letting filtered sunlight into the hall.

Six Years Later, April 22nd.

"You're leaving?" He asked, confused.

Sazanami nodded, picking at his nails. "I've studied myself sick. I'll probably go back to Japan."

"Doesn't seem like you'll be influenced, even if I try, right?" His roommate snorted. "Why go back to Japan? You'll be successful anywhere, wouldn't you want to go to America?"

"I have a friend who studied in America. He said it was shit." Jun laughed.

Europe had treated him differently. Family names were barely ever used in conversation and cursing and smoking were as common as a cloud.

Not that he minded, though. He grew to call this place his home; his roommate even got him into smoking.

"Then, you're leaving soon, right? The semester just ended."

"In a few days." Jun was always the type of person to quickly act once he had made his mind. He laughed at his roommate's face, "What, want me to take you with me?"

"As if I could ever speak Japanese. You're truly talented." He sighed. "Then. . I guess I'll get assigned another roommate. I enjoyed your company for these past years."

"Yeah right, you got mad at me every few days."

"With reason! You'd never tell me when you brought girls over, it was a scary experience every time I came back from work and saw a half-naked girl on our sofa. ."