Chapter 2: New Beginnings

Most recent edit: 11/19/2022

———

"SLYTHERIN!"

Elaine blinked once, and then she blinked twice. It had been the house she dismissed right from the start. Her head felt like it was spinning. Her? The ambitious house? It was quite the big shock. She didn't even know what she wanted. How could she be willing to do 'anything for what she wants' if she didn't even know what it is she wants?

She raised the hat off of her head and met the shocked, almost betrayed eyes of her sister before turning around and placing the hat back on the stool. She was sure that she saw varying levels of shock on all of the Weasley's faces as well, Ron excluded. He didn't seem surprised, just disappointed.

She walked over to the Slytherin table, still taken aback at the certainty the sorting hat held in it's choice at the end. She slid into the empty spot next to Alex. At least she could keep Alex company in a house mostly full of purebloods. She wasn't against Slytherin per say, in fact the concepts of the house had a certain appeal to them, but she was surprised— and nervous about how this would impact her relationships given Slytherin's reputation.

She focused back on the sorting, ignoring the burning feeling of Cassidy's eyes on her after accidentally meeting her eyes. Elaine knew why her sister was upset of course. It was Slytherin. But surely Cassidy wouldn't seriously actually be angry at Elaine for it though, would she? It's not like she tried to get sorted into Slytherin. It was out of her control.

She couldn't shake the feeling of being watched, but she decided to focus back on the sorting.

"Sallows, Fiona!"

Fiona made her way over to the stool and sat down. The hat paused for a moment, but it didn't take nearly as long as Harry's sorting. The hat firmly shouted out,

"SLYTHERIN!"

Elaine blinked in surprise. Though she was hoping that would be the case earlier because of Alex's sorting, she didn't think it would actually turn out that way, especially since Fiona herself seemed to have a house in mind. Fiona didn't look particularly shocked despite her earlier claims though. Judging from her expression, one might guess she even expected such an outcome.

Elaine felt sort of relieved, she didn't have much time to talk to the two girls, but she liked Alex and Fiona so far. She was glad they were both in her house, especially since Slytherin seemed a little... intimidating for lack of better word.

"Hello," Fiona greeted both her and Alex with a warm smile before sitting down on Elaine's left. Alex nodded in acknowledgment while Elaine gave her a small one-handed wave. Elaine turned her head away from the sorting only to meet a stormy grey glare directly across from her. It was Malfoy.

"Of course you're getting all chummy with the filthy muggle," Malfoy spat out, "Is that some sort of common point between you and your sister? Don't think I forgot how you laughed at us on the train earlier. You better keep your ugly trap shut or else. I'm sure you know how much power the name Malfoy holds." He sneered.

Elaine rolled her eyes, unknowingly in sync with Alex's own eye roll. She felt oddly emboldened after her surprising sorting, "My bad, common human decency is quite the crime, isn't it? I best keep my mouth shut to not face the oh-so-scary wrath of your family. My bad, really, Malfoy." She sassed, sarcasm lacing her tone, earning a snicker from Alex.

He gaped at her audacity, his face flushed red with anger. "You'll regret that. Don't talk to me like that!" His glare shot over to Alex. "And you, mudblood, don't laugh at me you filth!"

Elaine sighed and turned to face Alex. "Ignore him, he's stupid."

Fiona nodded in agreement, her hands resting calmly in her lap. Malfoy gave her a disappointed look, but ultimately said nothing more. He rolled his eyes and scoffed, not giving them anymore of his attention, in favor of watching the rest of the sorting. During their bickering, another two students had been sorted into Slytherin, earning applause from around the table.