Chapter 3: Tension Rising

a/n:

yipeeee lets go

most recent edit: 11/21/2022

———

The next few days passed rather smoothly. After the meeting in the library with the four Gryffindors, Elaine hadn't really crossed paths with them other than a shared D.A.D.A. class on Tuesday.

As she expected, the tension between Gryffindors and Slytherins were higher than ever in shared classes. Malfoy seemed to be particularly deadset on mocking Harry for refusing his offer of friendship during their first meeting.

Now, the end of the first week was rolling around and it was Friday. Elaine assumed the tension would be at it's peak with the head of the Slytherin house teaching their first class of the morning, double potions with the Gryffindors.

"What're ya thinking about?" Cael mused from her side, poking her face. Her cheek squished under his index finger, which she didn't care enough to stop.

Her eyes drifted towards him. "Just curious about how this first class will go," she responded, rubbing at her sleepy eyes.

It was just her and Cael walking to potions at the moment. Coincidentally, neither of them wanted to be awoken for food and decided to skip breakfast in favor of more sleep, and both came down to the common room at the same time.

She vaguely recalled Fiona saying she'd grab something for Elaine to have in between classes, and considering Cael's absence, she assumed Fiona would grab something for him too. As they walked across the cold stone floor, she felt appreciative that potions was taught in the dungeons. It made it quite easy to get there straight from their common room.

"Why'd you oversleep? Couldn't sleep last night?" Cael asked with a grin.

Elaine brought a hand to her mouth to cover a yawn, "I was reading."

"Ravenclaw behavior," Cael chuckled, removing his index finger from her cheek.

"I thought I'd be in Ravenclaw actually," Elaine chuckled. She then glanced over towards him, "Why'd you oversleep?"

Cael laughed, "Needed to catch up on my beauty sleep. I'm not used to waking up this early. School sucks."

Elaine chuckled, "Yeah fair," she then smiled coyly, "This class is gonna be pretty fun, huh? Gryffindor and Slytherins... with our house-head teaching."

He smirked, "Yeah, I'm pretty excited to see the show too, little El. It'll be interesting for sure. Maybe we should've brought popcorn."

"I don't know why you insist on referring to me as little when you're only an inch taller than me," she said, unimpressed.

"Well I have to patronize someone for their height around here—" He cut himself off, covering his hands for a dramatic whisper, "and Alex is taller than me. Completely out of the question."

Elaine barked out a laugh. "HA!— I long to see the day where you both stop growing and she's still taller than you."

"No, no, no. That simply will not happen. I won't allow it." He shook his head, determined.

"I don't think that's something you can control, Cael," she laughed, shaking her head.

He opened the door to the empty potions classroom and smirked. "Just you wait and see. I'll be taller than her."

She huffed, holding her hands up in surrender with an amused smile. "Alright."

They settled into two seats in the back row. Soon enough, other students started filtering into the room. Fiona was one of the first to appear with Alex right at her tail.