Stepping into the house & lives of Shergils

Shergil house was a simple two storey house. Minimal but aesthetically decorated. The front of the house had two gates. One gate opened to a small garden, with some trees and hanging bird houses.
The other gate opened to a simple cobbled driveway.

Behind the garden the house stood strong with a covered porch area with basic furniture. Behind it was a large living and dining room. As Monami and Karan entered the house from the driveway entrance, they saw bhabhi locking a room frantically.

"Bhabhi, all ok?" Karan asked with concern.

"Monami, Karan", bhabhi looked at them. "I am so sorry. Main tumko call karne hi wali thi" She held Monami's hand. "My mom is getting appendicitis pains and me and my sister are taking her to hospital for surgery". I was confused if I should ask you not to come and take Baby with me or should I ask you to come here and look after Baby for a couple of hours...." Barkha was saying rapidly.

"Bhabhi calm down" Karan interrupted. "I will take your mom to hospital. Don't worry."

"Nahi Karan that's all sorted and planned. I am more worried about this spoilt evening and also baby." Barkha said. "Monami pehli baar ghar aayi aur..."

"Aap please meri tension mat lijiye. Aap please bataiye main kya help kar sakti hoon. Should i come with you to the doctor or hospital?" Monami said reassuringly.

"Can you both watch Baby for some time. She is really excited to meet you Monami. Bas thodi der and it will be her bed time. Haan dinner mein soup and noodles bane hain. Please garam kar ke kha lena. Baby ko cold hai to soup banaya tha and Monami, tumhe noodles pasand hain na" Bhabhi touched Monami's cheek with an elder sister's affection.

Monami was surprised how she knew about her liking for noodles. And she smiled. "Aap please tension free ho kar jaiye. Yahan sab manage ho jayega. Koi formality nahi hai. Please Take care of your mom.

"Thank you Monami. Tumhaare saath to hamesha apno wali feeling hi aati hai." Barkha bhabhi looked at Karan. "Karan, Baby ko soup de ke sula dena please."

There was a car honk outside, and Bhabhi went out.

Baby came running for Karan. Karan suddenly had a big smile, picked up baby and twirled her around. Monami was pleased to see Karan so relaxed and smiling. "Kaisi hai meri commando?" "Special Agent Shergil, Commando is all fit, bas thoda sa cold hai, but yahan to koi hot hot hai" Baby said looking at Monami.
Baby ran to hug Monami. "Haina chachu?"

Karan fumbled for words and there was an awkward silence between Monami and him.

Monami gave the gifts she got for Baby. There was a commando cap, a rescuer's miniature kit and a story book. Baby got really excited, held Monami's hand and took her to her room to show around. Monami turned around to look at Karan and saw him smiling at them. Karan's smiles were really beautiful and Monami's heart swelled up with happiness whenever she saw him smiling.

Karan was surprised how smoothly Monami was interacting with his family. Did Baby say hot? Monami was a beautiful girl for sure, so beautiful that Karan always felt she didn't fit in the academy, in the hard life of a commando. But he never looked at her as more than a cadet, so he ignored the idea of her being hot . She was more like a grown up baby.

Not realising it, both Monami and Karan were smiling with each other's thoughts.

______________To be continued ___________