In a different light

Bhabhi returned and was surprised to see Monami and Karan sitting by the porch, looking in each other's eyes, Monami wearing Karan's t-shirt.

"Karan, ye sab" Bhabhi asked. Karan & Monami broke their eyelock, and narrated entire incident to Bhabhi. She looked surprised.

Monami asked Bhabhi, "Bhabhi how's your mother now?
Bhabhi gave Monami details of her mother's health and sought her medical opinion.

"aapne khana khaya?" Monami asked Bhabhi

"Nahi Monami, abhi kuch leti hoon" Bhabhi said.

"Aap fresh ho jaiye, main aapke liye soup & noodles garam kar deti hoon. They are delicious. Aur main practice karungi to perfect ho jaungi" Monami said and went into the kitchen.

Bhabhi looked at Karan who was smiling looking at Monami. Karan knew that practice comment was in continuation of their discussion and he was happy to see Monami smile again.

"Karan..." Bhabhi called Karan in hushed tone "Main kaafi broad minded hoon, Tu sach bata sakta hai"
"Ji bhabhi, matlab?" Karan was confused.
"Matlab... itni khoosoorat ladki, uske kapde tere room main hai, she is wearing your clothes, I see so many candles around the house, you were lost in each other's eyes when I came, you have this really beautiful smile on your face, and Monami wants to practice cooking in our kitchen." Bhabhi went on and on.

"Ek second bhabhi. AAP kya... Aisa kuch nahi hai" Karan seemed shocked at Bhabhi's words and fumbled while explaining "Usne gas lighter pehli baar use kiya to uski practice karni hai, kapdo ki situation aapko bata chuka hoon, candles were lit because of power failure and we were just talking here ... that's it bhabhi"

"Okayyyy ... okay I believe you ... par.. sirf baate karne se Tum itna smile kar rahe ho, sach mein kuch aur hua to tumhara kya hoga?" bhabhi teased Karan

"Bhabhi Meri cadet hai wo" Karan was surprised at Bhabhi's comments

"Haan wo to kuch time ke liye. Lifelong sirf cadet rahe, Aisa to koi rule nahi suna maine" Bhabhi insisted "aur Tu aise achcha lag raha hai"

Both of them became quiet as Monami entered with the warm food. Monami and Bhabhi chatted while Bhabhi had dinner. They discussed Monami's reason to join academy, how she felt during the organ trade situation and Karan noticed that Monami's eyes had a particular glow while she spoke.

Bhabhi gave Monami clothes to change. "Monami Tum to tall ho mujhse, mere salwar kameez will not fit you. Tum saree pehnogi?"

When Monami stepped out of the room, she looked ethereal in a white saree.

Bhabhi saw Karan looking intently at Monami

Bhabhi saw Karan looking intently at Monami. She nudged Karan "Bahut pyaari hai na."
Karan looked away but didn't respond.
Bhabhi continued, "Karan, sometimes same things look different when we look at them in different light."

"Monami please aati rehna. Tum apni si lagne lagi ho" bhabhi said. Monami wasn't sure if Karan will be okay with it so she just smiled.

Karan and Monami left for the academy.

The way back was quieter. The rain had stopped so Karan removed the covers to enjoy the pleasant weather. Karan was remembering events from the evening and wondering how smoothly Monami gelled with Baby and Bhabhi. He looked at Monami in the rear view mirror. She had put her head back and was thinking something. The night was dark with clouds. But at one point, the moon peeped from being the clouds, the moonlight touched Monami's face and she seemed to reflect the moonshine. Karan was mesmerised looking at her but he could not decipher the feelings. He just felt a strange jab in his chest.

As they stepped down from the jeep, Karan offered her hand to Monami in case she needed help because of the saree.
Monami lifted up her saree a little and stepped down comfortably without taking Karan's hand.

"Thank you, Karan."
Monami smiled and said " I will say it again Karan. I am here to stay, to learn and to achieve what I came here for. I hope I will have your support as my trainer."

"Monami you are my cadet. Jab bhi tumhe Life mein, meri zaroorat hogi, I will be there for you"

They were looking at each other for a few minutes when they heard some noises from the hall. They looked at each other and entered the academy.

As they walked, Karan felt something different, something he has not felt before but he didn't know what. Maybe he needed to change his approach towards  Monami. He wondered if Monami looked different now because of her attire or her firm attitude or was he just looking at her in a different light.

__________________-X-________