INTRODUCTION

"Jinn is an Arabic collective noun derived from theSemitic root JNN (Arabic-Jann) and its primarymeaning is to hide or conceal. Some authors interpretthe word to mean literally, "beings that are concealedfrom the senses", while some reference books simplyrefer to it as a spirit that can take on various humanand animal forms and make mischievous use of itssupernatural powers. 

Religious Beliefs 

In the Islamic context, A Jinn is one of Allah'screations, created before humankind from asmokeless flame of fire. Both Jinn and humans werecreated purposely to worship Allah. Jinns are said tobe in a world of their own with distinct features andnature. Like humans, they eat, drink, marry, bearchildren, have rights to choose between good or eviland capabilities of causing physical and mental harmto humans. An example of such acts are seen inthrillers such as 'The Exorcist' and 'ArabianAdventure'. To this end, once a Jinn possesses aperson,they exhibit irrational behaviours diagnosedby orthodox medicine to be symptoms of eithersubstance misuse or mental disorderslikeschizophrenia, bipolar, split personality that could bemanaged through therapy.xiIn Islam, the best way to set free thepossessed is by performing 'Rukya', a recitation ofrelevant Qur'an verses upon the person seekingrefuge and commanding the Jinn to let go of itsvictim. 

Cultural Beliefs 

The general cultural belief in Africa, especiallyNigeria, is that Jinns are believed to be wickedcreatures and often blamed for mysterioushappenings, misfortunes and unexplained healthproblems.It is also believed that Jinns haunt empty anduncompleted buildings, baobab trees, dunghills, oldwells and dark wilds, so children are often notallowed to play around such areas at dawn and latein the evenings when Jinns are believed to roam free.Cases of Jinn possessions have becomerampant in our society mainly because we are nowmore exposed to them due to expanding settlementsand as such, humans may hurt them unconsciouslyand to retaliate, they possess humans. Unfortunately,women are mostly affected because Jinns are said tolove beautiful women. The most shocking thingabout this is that hundreds of them can possess oneperson. Their existence is confirmed by thetestimony of people around the world to having heardvoices, feelings of being slapped, stoned, touched,xiistalked and being stared at. Some sighted weirdpresence of strange creatures and encounters.An example is Yar Madubi, a well know Jinnin one of the states in Northern Nigeria, who is saidto be a crying little girl that pretends to be lost. Oncepicked up, and one tries to search for her family, shepossesses the helper and it will only take the grace ofGod to be free of her.