The Program (Ghost)

°°° 💞 °°°

After being introduced to the Sergeant, I was told we'd be receiving a new squadmate later. Price informed us that they'd be our inside source. Today we finally got to meet up with them.

They stood by price, completely unidentifiable. But something in the way they held themselves seemed familiar.

"Alright, listen up. This is Lieutenant C/n. They'll be giving us information in the next few days on Hasan's movements and plans. With the , hopefully we'll be able to find the rest of the missile and capture Hasan alive," he explained, gesturing to the Lieutenant. They gave a slight nod, staying silent. They were fidgety, picking at the gun in their hands, shifting around, fixing their mask every once and a while.

"However, it's vital that their identity stays hidden, even to us. C/n was put under the Witness Protection program and only recently was as to come back to their original job. Should their identity be revealed, they'll have to go into hiding again. If you have any questions about them, ask them. They'll know what how to answer better than I will," Price said, dismissing us.

Soap, of course, was all over our new friends, constantly asking questions. C/n revealed what they could. Their voice seemed off, as though it was modified through something. But there was something about it..

"So, what did you do before you got put in the program?" I asked, thing Soap's barrage.

"I was a recon and intelligence specialist. I was your spy and scout. Also trained in marksmanship to help out on field," they explained.

"You know, I never got your name. They call you Ghost, right? And I understand the Sergeant is called Soap?" C/n suddenly asked. I nodded in answer.

"Yeah, that's me. You can pretty much call Soap whatever you want," I said, snickering slighty. I heard a quiet laugh from them.

We fell into a comfortable silence after that, something that felt comforting, for some reason.

°°° Your POV °°°

I watched silently from my perch in the warehouse, watching Alejandro and Gaz (I think he's the one in Alejandro's squad, I don't remember. Maybe it was Soap idk) make their way to Valeria's crate. As they were opening it, I took this as an opportunity to make my way down towards them. They were talking to her, their backs facing me.

Valeria leaned over, looking at the boys and at me. I kept my gun down, even as they whipped around to shoot.

"I suggest putting the guns down. I was the only reason you got through those tunnels," I told them. They shook their heads in disbelief. I adjusted my mask, unused to the material. I had ditched my usual one for a more discreet mask, not wanting to give anything away to Graves.

After Graves turned on the 141, I had infiltrated Shadow Company, allowing them to think I was either dead or captured. I didn't like the idea of it, but I knew they'd come up with a plan to take Graves down.

And it pained me to leave Ghost. I knew who he was, but I knew he wouldn't know me. At least, not now. I could only hope he'd recognize me when I was safe.

"How did you manage to survive? I know for a fact Graves was looking to off you, too" Gaz asked, giving my shoulder a light punch.

"It helps when nobody knows your face," I said with a smile, giving him a wink.

"We've got what we need here. We need to regroup with the others. They should've found Graves by now," Alejandro said. "Good to have you back."

He moved out, allowing Gaz and I to follow behind.

The fight there was brutal. Graves apparently got a tank and Soap had go go around throwing C4 at him. Currently, I was holding my mask across my face. It had been torn in the fight and I wasn't exactly ready to give away my position.

The others were filling everything in while I stayed behind, awaiting orders from either Alejandro or Price. I waited patiently, turned away from them, letting my hand drop. The scrap of mask fluttered quietly in front of me, trying to tear away from the rest of it.

I was startled by a hand on my shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. I glanced at him, knowing already who it was.

"Knew they didn't get you. You're way too stubborn to die," Simon murmured, tears pricking at his eyes. I refrained from wrapping my arms around him, knowing we were still under the watchful eyes of the others.

"What gave it away?" I asked, discreetly reaching up to wipe a tear away from his eye.

"The fidgeting. You never could sit still, even on the field. S'why they never felt you fully serve as a marksman," he mumbled, his voice thick as he spoke. I could only smile at him softly.

"I'll fill you in when we have some alone time, I promise. But right now, we need to focus on finding Hasan," I told him. He nodded, handing me a spare mask. I muttered a thanks as I slipped it on.

°°

I could see Soap and Price scaling the building from where Nikolai and I were. We were circling it, keeping close watch on the two we could and making sure nobody snuck up on Ghost, who was on a tower opposite to the one the others were in, holding an angle, ready to fire a moments notice.

Things were going rough. We'd lost sight of Soap, who'd gained access to the controls but was being hunted by Hasan's men. Laswell was walking him through it calmly and they finally shut the final missile down.

When Soap found Hasan, Hasan almost killed Soap. Thankfully, for Soap's call and Ghost's impeccable aim, they managed to kill him. It was unfortunate we couldn't keep him alive for information, but we had to do it.

Now, I found myself hauling it through the base in search of Simon's room. I found it, the door slightly ajar. I ran in, shutting the door behind me before quickly flinging myself at him, who caught me and held me close to his chest.

He let himself cry, shoulders shaking with the silent action. We didn't say anything, enjoying each other's comforting embrace. It'd been years since either of us had gotten to do this.

"Does this mean you get to stay with me again?" He asked quietly, pulling away just enough to see my face.

"Sort of. If we're out in public, I have to keep myself hidden, but otherwise, if I'm on base, deployed or whatnot, I can stay with you like we did before," I told him with a smile. He laughed, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck. He took a deep breath, steadhing his shakey demeanor.

"I missed this. I missed you, Y/n," Simon whispered, pressing a gentle kiss to my lips.

"You have no idea how badly I wanted to return to you. To tell you I was okay. But while those people were still out there, there wasn't anything I could do without putting you and myself at risk," I breathed. He didn't say anything for a moment, just aprinkling my face with light kisses.

"I love you. I hope you'll never forget it, no matter what happens."

°°