Radhika Mann | The Innocent

"So this is how a mobile phone works. Got it?" 

Maan had spent his entire Sunday updating Radhika's information about the "mediums of communication" that were present at this time. It was surprising, even to him that he spent this much time with her. Instead of resting and spending the day in his sweats with a nice beer in hand and malicious thoughts of suicide in his head, he had heard her playing sitar, went to eat golgappas with her, and went to the fair with her. Yes again. They had gone to the fair at least 5 times now, but every time was worth it. Just spending time with her was enough for him. Never had the old Radhika spent an ounce of hearty attention towards him. She had tried to, but it just wasn't in her nature to actually care for someone. He knew it, and he had loved her for whatever she was. Not what he wanted her to be.

Isn't that was true love is?

"Wow! This timeline is awesome! Fucking awesome!" She shouted and he spat out his drink after hearing the f-word.

"Radhika, don't say that word."

"what? awesome? or fucking?"

"The second one. Please."

"Why what is so wrong with it?"

"It is a gaali. A curse word."

"What?! Oh my god! Why didn't you tell me before? The milkman might be hurt badly. And that's why that neighbor snatched her kid away from me when I told him that his toy truck was f-wordly awesome!

I thought it was a term of endearment! As we saw in the movie? The man always shouted that word when talking to his wife! Oh my god!"

Both of them erupted in a bedlam of laughter and enjoyment.

Her innocence and his naughtiness blended well.

The laughter died down and both of them shuffled in their seats in the smooth silence enticing them. There was something beautiful in the air.

"So what do you want to do?"

"Obviously not watch movies."

He laughed, then continued, "okay how about some music?"

"Bah! Music is something that heals. I want to do something fun!"

"Well, we can read books if you like. That's my idea of fun."

"BOOKS? THERE ARE BOOKS HERE?! What were you doing showing me these benevolent movies then?"

"Movies are considered more fun so..."

"Not for me. The theatre plays of my time are 100 times better than these movies from your  big box."

"It's called television."

"Whatever! I don't like it! It makes you sit glued to it! I like my freedom. And the box steals it by making my brain attached to it. My freedom is golden and I will not let this big box take it away from me!"

"Sure."

"So books it is!"

"Come with me." He stood up and led her to a room, locked.

He said while opening the lock,

"Okay, umm now today's books are a little more different than you might have had in your time."

"Okay."

The door opened and dust welcomed them inviting sneezes and coughs.

After the dust storm eroded, she saw a big shelf and books of so many colors filling the magnificent shelf.