Chapter 24

I sat on the edge of my bed, my hands clasped on my bare legs. They were a bit louder than usual – my father and his guards. I could constantly hear them through the night and now that it is morning, they were just a bit louder. I couldn't decipher much about what was going on, but I was slowly becoming entuned with the whole atmosphere. Something was going on. They were the only ones who truly knew the ins and outs of my father's business dealings, but they never spoke about it in front of me.

I was always tired from a lack of sleep. The stress of my father's business dealings kept me up at night, and I could hear the muffled sounds of his late-night meetings through the walls of my room. He was always on the phone, always talking in hushed tones about things I didn't understand. And it bothered me that he sometimes had to walk around the house, mainly past my door. As if to tell me he was there. As if to remind me that he was always working- something I refused to let him pull me into.

I had strict working hours. And that was one thing I would not budge on.

I closed my eyes, trying to shut out the sounds of their movements. But my mind wouldn't let me rest. I knew I needed to do something to find out what was going on, to find out what my father was involved in. That's why I was so determined to get closer to Nate or Claud. Ever since they came onto the playing field, the whole dynamics had changed.

With a deep breath, I got up from my bed and started getting ready for the day. Today was the day I was going to take action. I was going to find out what was really going on with my father's business, no matter what it took.

I sat at my desk in my office, surrounded by piles of paperwork and half-empty coffee cups. Lunch was skipped since I was so into a good flow. I always preferred to work in solitude and my office was a reflection of that. It was my private space, in this shithole company. My laptop was in front of me, my eyes fixed on the screen as I sifted through the latest lead in my investigation. My mind was racing, trying to piece together the puzzle of my father's business dealings.

Suddenly, a loud knock on the door interrupted my thoughts, causing me to jump in my seat. I looked up to see Mr. Johnson, my father's assistant, standing in the doorway. His imposing figure filled the space, casting a shadow across my desk.

"Ellie, your father wants to see you," he said in a deep, stern voice.

My heart skipped a beat. I felt a knot form in my stomach as I wondered what he could possibly want from me.

"Okay, I'll be right there," I said, trying to keep my voice steady.

I quickly closed my laptop and gathered my things, trying to compose myself before leaving the office. Whatever my father wanted to talk to me about, I knew it was important. I just hoped that I was prepared for whatever was to come.

I took a deep breath as I entered my father's office. It was a spacious room with high ceilings and floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the city skyline. My father sat behind his large wooden desk, looking up at me with a stern expression.

"Ellie, I need you to show Nate the contracts for the new business deal," my father said, gesturing towards Nate, who was sitting in a chair in the corner of the room.

I felt my heart sink as I looked over at Nate. His stoic expression revealed nothing, but I couldn't help feeling uneasy in his presence. I knew that he was a key player in my father's business, but I had never met him before.

I walked over to the desk and picked up the stack of papers, flipping through them nervously. The contracts were filled with legal jargon that I couldn't make heads or tails of, but I tried my best to appear confident as I handed them to Nate.