Chapter 41

I blinked a few times, hoping to adjust my vision, but the inky blackness seemed impenetrable. With each passing second, my heartbeat echoed louder in my ears, a constant reminder of the situation at hand.

For a few moments I fantasised being a character is some movie. Those chick flies that would have you gripping at the end of your seat, squealing with pleasure when the main characters finally experience a close proximity scenario. But I damn well knew I had to be anchored into this reality.

And my mind had it's own mind. I lifted up my knee and pushed upwards in a sharp motion, hitting him right where it mattered.

Nate doubled over and let out a strangled groan. "What the fuck?"

"Isn't that what you wanted?" I asked innocently, dusting away invisible dust off his shirt. In the dark as well.

I felt the old Ellie slowly come back to surface and I welcomed that bitch in every way possible. I needed her. I needed her so freaking much right now.

"Ellie," Nate said in a strangled voice.

I pushed him back so I could walk past him. No way was he going to get the upper hand anymore.

I continued walking through the maze. I could admit I was slightly frightened but also because I could feel a presence always hovering behind me. My heart was racing constantly because I couldn't see much and whenever my eyes caught a few light spots, I used it to look behind me but it was impossible to see.

Rough hands gripped my arms and yanked me into a darker corner. I let out a scream but the sound was quickly muffled by their hands being pressed on my mouth. They pressed their whole body fully on me, their weight familiar.

I narrowed my eyes even though I couldn't see as his smell wafted through my nose. I began to thrash in his hold, bitting his flesh in hopes of getting him to let go.

"This is making me feel all sorts of things," Nate said in a pleasant tone. I stopped moving and felt something poke my lower stomach. A flutter of butterflies landed in my stomach but I quickly swatted them away.

His hands dropped from my arm and rested on my waist, pulling me closer so I felt every inch of him. This man was wrecking all my plans with every single touch of his. My will was so fragile that I was really tempted to just give in.

But my urge to go back to a reformed Ellie was stronger.

"Let me go Nate." I said, my voice much stronger than before. Before he could reply, I leaned forward in the dark and hoped to find what I was looking for. When I did, I bit down harshly.

In my mind I thought I would give it a harsh bite but in reality, I ended up closing my teeth gently on his bottom lip and gave it a small tug. One small touch, and I could feel the physical intensity double.

He let out a ragged breathe, this one sounding more pained than before. "I'll talk when I want to talk. I do what I want to do from this moment onwards. Say hi to Elisandra."

I pushed him away and he moved with ease this time. And I continued the night through the maze, finally catching up with Emma outside the maze. I ogled at her disheveled state and her own swollen lips. She looked slightly frightened and out of breath and I was shocked to see half her top was missing.

"What happened?" I asked her, trying to fix her messy hair. She looked at me with wild eyes and slowly gripped my arm.

"How did he find me?" She asked me, sounding bewildered.

I smirked down at her, now understanding why she looked like she did. And just then, the culprit came strolling out the maze, whistling a tune that sounded jolly. His eyes landed on Emma and they instantly darkened and I was tempted to remind him that he was not alone.