Chapter 25 - An Overdue Conversation

"So you're back permanently? All your assignment objectives have been met and you're officially signed off?" Hotch asks as he briefly scrutinises a number of files that make up your reinstatement documentation

"That's correct, for both questions."

You're currently sat opposite him at his desk, while he conducts what is both a debrief and re-introduction into the unit, a type of induction. He knows the answers to all these questions, but as this is a formality, he continues on through the list.

He's been looking at you the whole time, since you walked through his office door about ten minutes ago. His gaze doesn't waver, other than when reviewing the file in front of him and even then, it's not long before he's refocusing on you.

Your eyes however have been glued to his desk, taking what seemingly appears to be a great interest in his gold name plate, with the accompanying FBI badge.

He knows you're avoiding him, he's a profiler for goodness sake. Stevie Wonder himself would see you've taken every opportunity not to be near Hotch.

You've been back for almost two weeks, stuck on desk duty until this meeting is concluded, and up until now, you'd been been dodging being alone with him at every chance. Unfortunately Morgan had shot you down when you had asked him to take the lead on this, instead of Hotch.

So here you were, awkwardly sitting across from him, trying and failing to act nonchalant. Everyone had already gone home, it was a Friday afterall, but Hotch had made you stay late to get this done.

"Well that's everything we need to cover, you're fully reinstated and authorised to join us on cases again. Here's the note for you to pick up your firearm from the team downstairs." Oh thank god, you were done.

Pushing yourself backwards in the chair, you stand up, straightening out your pantsuit. "Thank you. If that's everything am I dismissed?"

"Actually I would like to speak to you concerning another subject, if you wouldn't mind?" Hotch gestures to the seat that you just so hastily vacated. So he was going to do this now? Here?

As you tentatively lower yourself back into the seat, there's a insistent knock at the door. Hotch exhales, failing to hide his dejection. Nevertheless he calls for them to come in.

It's Anderson. "Sorry to interrupt sir, but you have a case. I've already called the rest of the team and they're making their way back in."

Hotch pinches the bridge of his nose, and you watch as the frown lines on his forehead deepen. He nods and dismisses the clerical agent, standing and making his was around his desk.

You follow suit and he guides you out of his office, with a gental palm to your lower back. The action immediately results in goosebumps along your arms. He turns to you and seems to linger before removing his hand.