Chapter 8 - Late

You were late

You were late. And you were pissed.

It was as you were giving yourself a once over, about to leave the house, when you noticed it. The reddish purple mark on your neck. You'd cursed and ran to the bathroom, looking for your concealer.

Your hair helped cover the mark, to a degree. Now this would have been sufficient for anyone else, but you worked with very observant people.

Minimizing the redness turned out to be a challenge. You weren't the best when it came to makeup but had tried your hardest, hoping your coverage attempt would suffice.

Exiting the elevator with speed, you flung the glass doors open, throwing your coat and bag in the direction of your desk as you passed it.

You cursed yourself for the second time that day because of your decision to wear heels. It wasn't like you'd be able to sneak in anyway, but your arrival would be both seen and heard.

Everyone besides JJ was sat at the round table, musing through the case files in front of them. Double shit, you think. They'd started without you.

You walk into the room meekly, head down as you pull out your seat. You can feel everyone's eyes but don't look up, instead reaching for the file left for you.

"Buffalo PD is concerned that it might be another filmed killing. Ah, so nice of you to finally join us, Brooke." Hotch says, voice full of disdain.

You knew Hotch would say something. You hadn't expected him to be lenient and just let it fly.

Granted he'd given you two amazing orgasms last night but that didn't mean he'd be easy on you when it came to work related matters.

"Apologies, Sir. It won't happen again." You say softly, meeting his eyes before refocusing on the file. This was partly his fault, but you couldn't exactly mention that. You slide further into your seat, wanting the ground to open up.

"Care to enlighten us as to why you are-" He pauses, looking to his watch before continuing. "almost 20 minutes late?" He questions. Everyone's attention is on you now. Before you can reply, he begins speaking again.

"Arriving late is practically a way of saying that you see your own time as being more valuable than the time of the persons who waited for you. Is that true, Brooke?"

You felt your blood pressure begin to rise in anger. What the hell was his problem?

You were never late. You'd never been late to work before. You were always early. So this was a first.

You weren't pissed that he was calling you out, he'd do that to any member of the team. It was the fact he was being so condescending and making this out to be a constant occurrence.

"Again, I apologise. There is no particular reason. Not one worth noting anyway, Sir." You made sure to keep your expression stoic as you answered.

"You know punctuality is closely related to-" Reid begins but you cut him off with an angry glare. You loved Reid's ramblings, but had a feeling his injection wouldn't help your case. He held his hands up in mock surrender and you sighed.